Cheap scopes suck

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Long story short, I ended up with a muzzleloader barrel and scope that a guy I know from work sold last year.
Due to my work schedule and "normal" way things end up I got it out to shoot it yesterday.
Not sure how long this dude owned the barrel but apparently he has NO CLUE that you need to clean them every once in a while.
Probably the worst condition I have ever seen. I just thank God that it is a stainless so it wasn't completely ruined.
Anyway, that is another thread.
Fire my first shot at 100 yards at a 4 foot square piece of cardboard.
8" low and 14" to the left.
Make appropriate movements on the scope and fire again.
Fire second shot.
4" high, dead center of bullseye left / right.
Make adjustments to scope to bring it down to about an inch high at 100 yards. (12 clicks)
Fire third shot.
3" high, within a half inch of the last shot left / right.
Make needed adjustment on scope. (8 clicks)
Fire fourth shot.
This shot completed the "cloverleaf" of the group with a grand total of a three shot group of just BARELY over 1 1/2".
Normally that would have tickled me to death as that is a pretty good group considering I was shooting what I consider "field conditions" and not off a bench.
Too bad I made over 20 clicks in between the shots. :mad:
Running out of time and powder so I didn't take a 50 yard shot so I dunno if I will be dead on or REALLY high at 50 yards.
Guess I will just let the deer get to about 100 before I shoot. :mad:

I would rather have a 100 dollar gun and a 300 dollar scope than a thousand dollar gun and a 20 dollar scope.
sigh....

LCU

I made the same point about my scope being more expensive that my rifle,and not hunting with 150 pair of binos.
Got ripped for it.

Good luck

LCU

Saw 3 Does enter the field at 7:10 AM,about 260 yds away.
They kept looking back,and exited into the woods.
We know 2 large Bucks are in the same woods,and show up 4 mornings a week on ave.
Not this morning.

Headed back this afternoon.
This is some farmland I hunt a few times a season,and not my Hickman Co lease.

A guy on our lease sent me a text. He killed a large 8 point,and a Doe with his bow.

Guess I chose the wrong place to hunt this morning.
Crap..wanted a Buck on open ML day.

4onaside

Ruger,
I understand time constraints, but sighting in, may I suggest starting close and working out, as opposed to starting at 100 yards. I start every routine at 25 yards, then go to 100. However, with a ML, I start at 25 and then go to 50 and then to 100. Usually, you can get rid of all the gremlins at the initial short ranges, and you are ready to get serious at 100.

FULLDRAWXX75

I think everyone should own a cheap scope once in there life, really makes you appreciate a good one & you never buy another cheap one in your life...............

FDXX75

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
4onaside said:
Ruger,
However, with a ML, I start at 25 and then go to 50 and then to 100. Usually, you can get rid of all the gremlins at the initial short ranges, and you are ready to get serious at 100.

Funny cause that is exactly how I normally do it myself. I even do the 50 yard mark with my centerfires, but time just simply wouldn't allow it this time.
My own fault but anyway.
:D

Latest posts