Changing Releases in the Wind

Crow Terminator

Most all the 3D Pros will have somebody holding an umbrella for them to knock the wind off. Especially in the shoot downs.

What works for the Pro's though, don't necessarily work for me. Several of the Pro's don't shoot a hinge at all; they admit to playing around with them from time to time, but mostly stick to what works for them. Dan McCarthy is one of them. Mike Braden is/was another one. The hinge wasn't for me either. I am a command shooter all the way.

DixieCrafter

I shoot a hinge almost exclusively, but I also practice with a thumb release to maintain muscle memory proficiency. Having had target panic in the past I shy away from a thumb release during competition. There are times while practicing with a thumb release I still get TP urges, but that being said I can shoot thumb release very well, but vastly prefer a hinge.

I understand why some shooters pro or otherwise swap out releases in the wind and I have done the same. This can occur when the wind is strong enough to disrupt the timing of my shot sequence, causing me to wait, let-down, or swap out the release. Today's wind (11/12/2013) would be extremely difficult to shoot in to be sure!

I think Ol'163 kinda hit the nail on the head when it comes to UTG! For as long as I can remember UTG will post a question and much of the time will argue with the very advice which he has solicited! It keeps things interesting! I find a colorful and intelligent discourse based in merit quite refreshing!

Levi, isn't the only pro in the world, but certainly he is one of the best! Pro shooters shooting a hand held seldom ever punch a release, albeit strap releases (Tim Gillingham) are another story altogether!

Latest posts