Cellular Trail Cams

bruiser1980

I've used trail cameras in the past, but I have been considering getting a couple of cellular cameras. I like the idea of having the pictures sent to me instead of having to go check the SD cards. With the price of them so high, I have a couple of questions....1. If someone stole my camera, would I be able to catch them when they activated the camera or changed the camera to send the pictures to them. 2. Has anybody ever had one of these cameras stolen and were you able to catch who did it?

To me, $400+ seems like a lot to gamble with when you hear about so many cameras being stolen.

fairchaser

There is a message that will text you back a GPS location. How accurate it is IDK. Typically the perp would get his picture taken before he could steal it. I have mine cable locked to the tree just in case. It's also a deterrent when they see the antenna. Also you must know the passcode to use it so it's worthless to anyone else. They are well worth it to get pics while staying out of the area.

TheLBLman

fairchaser":25op1u4u said:
They are well worth it to get pics while staying out of the area.
Assuming the unit you receive works as advertised, and you have figured out all the idiosyncrasies of how it works. Many users have found they had to spend more time in the area before figuring everything out, and then, often the problems were with the cam simply not operating properly (or with AT&T, this, or that getting the blame).

fairchaser

Wes Parrish":1fxiaizx said:
fairchaser":1fxiaizx said:
They are well worth it to get pics while staying out of the area.
Assuming the unit you receive works as advertised, and you have figured out all the idiosyncrasies of how it works. Many users have found they had to spend more time in the area before figuring everything out, and then, often the problems were with the cam simply not operating properly (or with AT&T, this, or that getting the blame).

I agree Wes. There is s learning curve. Best to test it extensively at home or non essential areas. Even then I've had issues. Once I got the booster antenna it got a lot better. I hope I have everything figured out now. Even when it's not sending pics it's taking them just like any other camera but It can be frustrating at times.

TheLBLman

By no means do I want anyone to think I'm not excited about the possibilities of cellular cam technology. Eventually, I expect most of my cams to be cellular. But there needs to be a lot more bugs worked out before I go whole hog with it.

Currently in many locations, the booster antenna is an absolute necessity.
fairchaser":2au18odk said:
Once I got the booster antenna it got a lot better. I hope I have everything figured out now.
Regarding theft, two schools of thought:

Likelihood of being caught vs. opportunity to steal.

Much of the would-be theft opportunity is deterred by would-be thieves simply not seeing a cam. The things we do to make cams more secure (python cable locks, etc.) make those cams more noticeable. But when you use an axillary battery, perhaps including a solar power screen, cellular antennae . . . . you make your cam much more visible from a much greater distance. True, the would-be thief has a greater chance of being caught, but there's also much greater odds that particular cam will become a theft target simply because it's seen.

I sometimes go to great lengths to hide my cams from trespassers. I have found this much harder to do with cellular cams, but still very doable if you're willing to climb trees for placement, and forego the axillary batteries, solar power, etc.

fairchaser":2au18odk said:
Even when it's not sending pics it's taking them just like any other camera but It can be frustrating at times.
I have not found that to be the case, as I've had to program the cam to take pics less frequently. Whereas I might program the cam to take 3 pics as often as every 10 seconds in non-cellular mode, I might have to program for 1 pic every 2 minutes in cellular mode. That's a lot less opportunity to get a good pic of whatever triggers the cam.

I'm sure in time all these "issues" will get worked out better. :)

Vermin93

In about a week I will be deploying an antenna solution that I hope will result in a major improvement in the wireless transmission performance of my Covert Code Black 3G cameras. I have moved my cameras to areas with very poor signal strength, and that has essentially made the cellular function unusable. It is costing me about $120 per camera to deploy this antenna solution. I will post the details if I get the results I'm hoping for. Fingers crossed....

TITANSFAN2104

2-Step Enabled
WES my covert would take 3 pics in succession or whatever the setting I had it on would allow. I tested it every way and although the cell only sends the first picture it still takes the others. Ive had a couple instances where the first pic that the cell sent wasn't good but the following pics on the sd were good. I know that doesn't help any when your wanting to stay out of the area and defeats the purpose. I like them enough that im willing to buy more this year

TheLBLman

TITANSFAN2104":2wwna9eq said:
WES my covert would take 3 pics in succession or whatever the setting I had it on would allow. I tested it every way and although the cell only sends the first picture it still takes the others.
I suspect some of the differences in user experiences are due to different user locations having such great differences in cell signal strengths. Most of my experimentation has been in areas with "just OK" cell service.

You were correct, about the Covert still being able to take 3 pics while in cell mode, but only sending (or attempting to send) the 1st of the 3. But I was having such pathetic battery life (talking about 6 weeks on 12 lithiums!), that in an attempt to extend the battery life, had been advised to set the cam to trigger less often. Nothing seemed to work even half-way as I was expecting, although I'm sure part of the issues was the cell service. Never mind I could stand beside the cam and talk on my cell phone for an extended period without dropping a call.

The bottom line for me has been that the camera card always has a lot of images that were not transmitted cellularly, and I still have to check the cams to see what I have. Plus, very often, the first image of a triggering is premature and/or the worst of a multi-image sequence. For most of my wildlife uses, it has typically not been that critical how quickly I view the pics, just critical I get good ones and don't miss what was there. I can only accomplish that by pulling the SD card, even with a properly working cell cam. However, for more timely imagery, no doubt, even a poorly working cell cam sending 1.3mp images can be of great benefit.

I believe the manufacturers will eventually get all the bugs worked out, but I can't say they're there yet.

TITANSFAN2104

2-Step Enabled
Now when my cam got to around 3 on the battery it would quit sending. I live about 3 miles off I-40 close to Lebanon which is mediocre att service (2-3 bars). It would be nice if the cameras would get as consistent as the smart phones nowadays. Maybe we should develop a external trigger/sensor for an I phone with an app in a lifeproof case and sell the crap out of it :)