catman

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Ok in one of my trout threads you suggested corn under a bobber or with split shot to keep on the bottom.

So you actually fish on the bottom for them?

Didn't know they would work the bottom like that?

Thanks.

Oh and the corn with a bobber paid off yesterday. :D

catman529

Not sure I usually use a bobber but I remember fishing with Big J on Marrowbone he caught his limit with power bait on the bottom if I remember correctly.

GRAMPS

R.I.P.
I use a slip sinker with small split shot or swivel when fishing for trout on bottom. Usually use salmon eggs for bait when doing that. I do not use corn as our lakes are full of carp. Have seen a few fishermen lose their fishing gear when using corn as a result of carp yanking their rod and reels into the lake. :eek:

TNLynn

If you can find them, wax worms fished on bottom with a #4 thin wire hook with small splitshot works great on stocked trout. My kids and I have used them at Cane Creek Park in Cookeville and limited out faster than anyone around us on more than one occasion. People around us were using corn, small worms, power bait and artificial lures. When we put a boat in, we used rooster tails and moved around till we found them, but still didn't catch them as fast as we did from the bank. We used 4-6lb test line. Rooster tails are more fun, but wax worms filled cooler faster.

catman529

GRAMPS said:
I use a slip sinker with small split shot or swivel when fishing for trout on bottom. Usually use salmon eggs for bait when doing that. I do not use corn as our lakes are full of carp. Have seen a few fishermen lose their fishing gear when using corn as a result of carp yanking their rod and reels into the lake. :eek:
if it wasn't so far I'd be over there to fish for the carp!

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
My 1st trout fishing experence's were in Utah. Corn was illegal bait it was so deadly.It was also illegal because people used it for chum. Same thing in Wy. and other western states. A small ball of potatoe (egg size)works pretty good also.

BigPete357

Are you fishing lake or river?

On the rivers and streams, I try to fish just off the bottom under a small float. Never had much luck any other way.

SES

2" piece of nightcrawler. Take a syringe or one of the "worm Blowers" and pump the worm up. This makes it float. Use a split shot to get the worm down. The worm floats up off the bottom and twists and turns in the current. When I used to fish live bait for trout, I slaughtered them this way.

Crosshairy

In the city park lakes stocked with trout around Memphis, there are so many little bream (bluegill and pumkinseeds mostly) that you usually can't keep a wax worm/red worm / nightcrawler in the water without getting assaulted by those little buggers.

It's a great place to catch striper or catfish bait, though!