Catch question

hammer33

Wrong? no, you caught your target animal. Contrats! You are doing well !
Here is where you can fine tune things. Were you going for a back foot catch or front foot catch? (Trap is closer to the dirt hole say 10" or less to target a front foot catch) If you built the set to catch the front foot, then it is likely your bait/lure/urine that caused them to Mark the set instead of working the dirt hole and getting a front foot catch.

IMO, fancy bait/lures/urine is not really necessary if you are on location and a lot of trappers over-do it. If you are getting traps fired off and nothing in them, the dogs may be rolling in your set because of the lure/urine.

Try making another set with ONLY bait in the hole. I use whatever I have around the farm. Dead mouse, deer scraps, left over taco meat, the sludge from the grease pan in my smoker. I want a Bait to smell like food. Lure is best to try and call animals in when your set is a little off location. That is why it stinks so bad.
At my farm, Using commercial lures/baits I get a lot more rolling in sets, fired off empty traps, grinners, and skunks. Using only food based baits, I do much better on yotes and bobcats. Others will have different results.

Try another set and move the trap back a bit from the hole/post and go for a scent marking situation and urine up that set.
You are doing great if you caught a couple yotes and a bobcat your first year ! Keep experimenting, move your traps closer , and further out from the hole. Try bait only, Try urine only.... you get the idea. Trying new stuff is a lot of fun.

Shanman

Did I do something wrong making the set ? It was a dirt hole set with bait and lure with a little fox pee around
You noted fox pee "around"..... might be the reason. Be specific with the urine placement and don't use just a ton. Most usually give a squirt of urine on the front side of the set backing. Bait will catch more non targets in warmer weather when the possums and skunks are more active. This weekend's temps will be great for using a stronger bait, also good time to use heavier skunk based lures for a call lure. Heavy skunk lure will cause more rolling from yotes though.

square

Thanks for the info. I will try these suggestions. I am enjoying learning to trap more than I thought I would. I started out with the goal of reducing predators to help my turkeys. I found out I enjoy the process.

wildlifefarmer

Thanks for the info. I will try these suggestions. I am enjoying learning to trap more than I thought I would. I started out with the goal of reducing predators to help my turkeys. I found out I enjoy the process.
Square, you must enjoy Christmas imo. Trapping is just like it, you never know whats going to be under the tree or on your trapline. The more you trap the better you will be at it.

Shanman

wildlifefarmer nailed it! 👍
The anticipation of running the line the next day is sometimes overwhelming, folks that have never trapped wouldn't understand. Add in the fact that getting everything ready for the season and scouting out new ground just adds to it. Darn shame prices are what they are, truly hope they come back up someday, atleast enough to cover fuel.

Latest posts