Cast iron

Laserman1

Ok. My mother in law wants Christmas ideas for me and I want a set of lodge cast iron. Is this the cast iron i want or is there something better? Also a set or separate pieces? I know I want a Dutch oven with lid but not sure what else. Any opinions are appreciated.

LanceS4803

Enameled Lodge = China.

If you want enameled CI, I have three words for you: Le Creuset. $$$$ but oh so nice.

We have a few pieces of Le Creuset and they are great pieces.
BUT, I was at the Lodge outlet and looked at their enamel pieces and was impressed. Bought a dutch oven for my daughter.

If you do go original Lodge, try and get something that is fairly smooth. I got a chicken cooker and it had a lot of deep casting pits on the inside bottom surface. I ended up grinding it down smooth on the bottom and then did a lot of seasoning.

Blackbeard

Administrator
Staff member
2-Step Enabled
The enameled pieces are fired in China, but to lodges standards…I trust them here so I'll trust their products. I have the Dutch oven and it's a favorite of mine.

I also have a number of their cast iron, although I do wonder about their chefs version. They are a bit more round. I've gifted number of them but couldn't buy them for myself as I have 10+ years on mine and you just can't abandon that type of love and seasoning.

I would also consider adding a few Hell's handle turners. They are perfect for Lodge and making the best smash burgers.
Amazon product ASIN B00DT1XC34
I know there are other brands of cast iron that are more polished, but value wise lodge is awesome….

Smo

Lodge just needs too be used….

24EA2F1D-1ECF-430A-B8B9-6C47A4E84851.jpeg

DC8A58D4-75FC-4D21-893D-3109A0060C4C.jpeg

E422614A-AA02-40AF-90A9-46858DB82E5B.jpeg

And well maintained..👍

WTM

i dont use any cookware made in china because of chemical and particularly lead concerns, with the exception of my carbon steel woks, but then i seasoned those with 550 degrees and used salt.

i use lodge cast iron.

WTM

A41BCA45-68C6-4092-B4EE-8C213EE8CEE8.jpeg
this last pan i bought a year or so ago doesnt seem to be as rough as my older pan that i sanded. after 2-3 consecutive seasonings in grape seed oil its fairly slick and nothing really sticks to it.

like smo said the key is using it and cooking with enough fat.

6.5swede

I have some lodge and they are fine but the wagner ware, griswolds and most pre "made in the USA" stamped cast iron are lighter and smoother. I'd take any old skillet any Day guess I just prefer the finish.

Last edited:

TAFKAP

Ok. My mother in law wants Christmas ideas for me and I want a set of lodge cast iron. Is this the cast iron i want or is there something better? Also a set or separate pieces? I know I want a Dutch oven with lid but not sure what else. Any opinions are appreciated.

Cast iron is cast iron. The only improvements are the finish, and Lodge is REALLY gritty these days. If you want to get really fancy, go with enameled cast iron. Lodge's line is good, as are the French ones, but they're super expensive. I tend to stay away from anything Chinese made for cooking

imograss

I love cast iron. I use it inside and out. If I were you, and was after my first dutch oven, and there's a possibility I might use it outside as well. I would go with the flat lid that holds coals. It's nice to have in case you use it that way. I have skillets that were used by my great grandparents. I will agree that new CI normally does have a rougher gritty surface. That can be dealt with or corrected depending on how much time and effort you want to sink into it. The main thing is use it and use it often. Keep clean and greased after each cook. I also would not get the "set", but get whatever I would use the most individually. The Lodge Outlet stores normally have a good selection of 2nds which is always where their factory seasoning didn't adhere somewhere. Every piece I have bought that way either had no issues or a tiny bad seasoning spot on the out side or handle.

Attachments

• outdoor setup.jpg
    outdoor setup.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 53

Latest posts