Carrying lead and steel shot ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

catman529

I plan to hunt for wood ducks after deer season. Dove season also doesn't close till the 15th so I'd like to have some regular cheap lead shot with me to shoot doves on the way to the creek. I've seen a lot of doves lately. Can I legally carry both types of ammo when I go duck hunting or not? Obviously when I got to the water I'd only have steel in the gun.

catman529

Ok thanks. I might go duck hunt early in the morning, go back to truck and get lead ammo and head back to the fields to dove hunt. I've bumped too many out of fence rows lately not to try and shoot a couple.

scn

catman529 said:
Ok thanks. I might go duck hunt early in the morning, go back to truck and get lead ammo and head back to the fields to dove hunt. I've bumped too many out of fence rows lately not to try and shoot a couple.

That would work OK if you don't shoot any ducks. If you are checked and have waterfowl and lead shot in your possession, even in your truck, there could be issues.

catman529

I always have loose lead shot shells floating around the truck, are you saying that would be an issue if I had ducks in the truck and was checked?

ClubHead

They make steel dove loads that work pretty well.Its hard to shoot lead and steel pretty close together and stay on target due to shell changes.

catman529

ClubHead said:
They make steel dove loads that work pretty well.Its hard to shoot lead and steel pretty close together and stay on target due to shell changes.
lol I'm already a bad wing shooter as it is. If I kill any, its luck or the bird will be sitting down. I saw the steel dove loads at academy, I might just buy a box of those. Not as expensive as duck loads.

ClubHead

Steel is faster and the lead on the bird is shorter.If you shoot doves with lead then ducks with steel you will be jacked up for a bit.Id shoot steel for both if in that situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts