Handguns and FMJ Ammo Question

Joe2Kool

I'll paraphrase here, but on page 11 of the hunting guide, it states "...persons with handgun carry permits may possess a handgun the entire year on WMAs...this does not authorize a person to hunt unless in full compliance of wildlife laws..."

On page 12 under Legal Hunting Devices it states "...centerfire rifle or handgun...full metal jacket ammo is prohibited..."

So my question is, since most handgun ammo is FMJ, is it legal to have FMJ ammo in a carry handgun if you are NOT hunting with it, but you ARE hunting with a legal bow, rimfire, ML, or centerfire rifle?

I understand handguns are prohibited on certain WMAs such as Oak Ridge and others, but I'm talking about WMAs where handguns are legal.

Thanks

Bambi Buster

I'll paraphrase here, but on page 11 of the hunting guide, it states "...persons with handgun carry permits may possess a handgun the entire year on WMAs...this does not authorize a person to hunt unless in full compliance of wildlife laws..."

On page 12 under Legal Hunting Devices it states "...centerfire rifle or handgun...full metal jacket ammo is prohibited..."

So my question is, since most handgun ammo is FMJ, is it legal to have FMJ ammo in a carry handgun if you are NOT hunting with it, but you ARE hunting with a legal bow, rimfire, ML, or centerfire rifle?

I understand handguns are prohibited on certain WMAs such as Oak Ridge and others, but I'm talking about WMAs where handguns are legal.

Thanks
I cannot answer your question, but while I am sure there are exceptions, I know dozens of people who carry handguns for self-defense, and not one of them carries FMJ ammunition.

rmmonty32

I cannot answer your question, but while I am sure there are exceptions, I know dozens of people who carry handguns for self-defense, and not one of them carries FMJ ammunition.
I do not carry with FMJs. I do not like them for self defense. More likely to get a complete pass through with no expansion. Semi jacketed hollow points in my .357 LCR for urban or woods carry. But to avoid the hassle i think i would not carry my sidearm with FMJs while hunting.

mike243

Most handgun SD ammo isn't FMJ , practice ammo is and is normally cheaper, I will say during the winter I have been known to carry my 380 with FMJ for penetration thru heavier clothing , any ammo is legal for SD and it makes no difference while hunting, 1 thing I have noticed is folks shooting 22 mag will shoot fmj hunting but all over the regs sez no fmj, the soft point hunting ammo has less choices to stay legal

Safari Hunt

Call your regional TWRA office. Get the name of the person you talk with in case there is a contradiction later. I do this with any telecon where I don't know the people where I'm calling.

Joe2Kool

Thanks guys.

The FMJ ammo is generally for target use, more readily available, (except for now!!), and cheaper. But I don't hesitate to keep it in the mag for SD.

Hunting regs on pg 12 under Legal Hunting Devices only references centerfire and FMJ. "Rifle and handguns using centerfire ammunition - (full metal jacket ammunition prohibited)." It does not reference FMJ and rimfire.

Just noticed that on page 13, item 7 under prohibited acts: "...use or possession of rifles or handguns with full metal jacket ammunition..."

The title of this forum made me think it was monitored by TWRA reps. Guess I've got two questions when I call them:
1) Is FMJ legal for rimfire? (squirrels, pigs)
2) Is FMJ legal in a SD firearm?

Thanks again.

mike243

TWRA is talking about hunting not SD , if fmj in your pistol you better shot it with your rifle lol

DeerCamp

Thanks guys.

The FMJ ammo is generally for target use, more readily available, (except for now!!), and cheaper. But I don't hesitate to keep it in the mag for SD.

Hunting regs on pg 12 under Legal Hunting Devices only references centerfire and FMJ. "Rifle and handguns using centerfire ammunition - (full metal jacket ammunition prohibited)." It does not reference FMJ and rimfire.

Just noticed that on page 13, item 7 under prohibited acts: "...use or possession of rifles or handguns with full metal jacket ammunition..."

The title of this forum made me think it was monitored by TWRA reps. Guess I've got two questions when I call them:
1) Is FMJ legal for rimfire? (squirrels, pigs)
2) Is FMJ legal in a SD firearm?

Thanks again.
I watched my brother shoot a bang flop doe at 405 yards this year (our of state) with a 338 Lapua FMJ. He likes to shoot long range but didn't want to blow the deer to pieces. It was an unbelievable amount of KE.

But I can envision why anyone would carry FMJ in a handgun for protection. Too much overpenetration and not enough stopping power

Last edited:

PossumSlayer

2-Step Enabled
I watched my brother shoot a bang flop doe at 405 yards this year (our of state) with a 338 Lapua FMJ. He likes to shoot long range but didn't want to blow the deer to pieces. It was an unbelievable amount of KE.

But I can envision why anyone would carry FMJ in a handgun for protection. Too much overpenetration and not enough stopping power
A lot of new gun owners had to result to fmj because hollow points are rare.

Joe2Kool

Makes sense.
I never kept a lot of hollow points, but have always had plenty of cheap, FMJ for practice and shooting. With plenty of FMJ, that's what I'll put in the clip when the HP's are gone. Supply of HP's and other SD ammo will come back...I hope! :)
I just want to avoid any issues with the regulations.

I sent a question to "Ask TWRA" on the TWRA website and got a reply telling me who to call. I'll post the results of my conversation here.

Latest posts