Cant use mouth calls...

JCDEERMAN

ricky gervais laughing GIF

I have the same problem. I have used them on and off over the years, but never really had the confidence to use them hunting - kind of gave up before the season. If I were grading myself, I'd give me a D+. I just received 3 in the mail from Hooks and am bound and determined to get better. The roof of my mouth isn't flat at all and that has complicated it for me. I have been practicing, not necessarily for this turkey season, but to stay "touched up" for next year. Will probably also carry one with me during deer season to try and slip past deer that can hear me walking by trying to fool them.

casjoker

I found when new they would occasionally cause a gagging reaction. You need to trim them up a bit. I purchased 4 of the same ones and trimmed a little here and there until I found a good fit. I ruined two of the four before I found a good fit. For me, it made a big difference in how they sounded. They definitely take some getting used to for most folks.

deerfever

You just have to find the one and cut that fits you right. All of mine are 3 reed that I can use. Sometimes you have to bend them just a little to fit the roof of your mouth better. It was pouring rain this morning so I didn't hunt in Alabama but I found the 3 calls below in a combo pack in a little bait shop. When I first put them in it didn't sound right but it wasn't fitting my mouth correctly. Just a slight bend and all 3 sound like the old raspy hen that I want them too. You just got to find your call and practice, practice, practice!

Attachments

• IMG_20210331_103552812.jpg
    IMG_20210331_103552812.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 70

JCDEERMAN

You just have to find the one and cut that fits you right. All of mine are 3 reed that I can use. Sometimes you have to bend them just a little to fit the roof of your mouth better. It was pouring rain this morning so I didn't hunt in Alabama but I found the 3 calls below in a combo pack in a little bait shop. When I first put them in it didn't sound right but it wasn't fitting my mouth correctly. Just a slight bend and all 3 sound like the old raspy hen that I want them too. You just got to find your call and practice, practice, practice!
Never though about bending them - didn't know you could without breaking them. Also thought it would affect the tension on the reeds. I had always cut them with scissors, but not bent them. I'll try this - hope this is the cure for me!

deerfever

Never though about bending them - didn't know you could without breaking them. Also thought it would affect the tension on the reeds. I had always cut them with scissors, but not bent them. I'll try this - hope this is the cure for me!
Just be easy with it! Just a touch put it in your mouth and try again! It has to fit right in your mouth or the air flow is incorrect and it sounds awful. But yes if you bend it in half it may mess up your reed tension to the point of no return. Lol, Good luck !

TNDeerGuy

I had the same problem, from sounding like an duck being choked to death to gagging like someone is cramming a cardboard box down my mouth, the first couple of years wasn't fruitful from the standpoint of getting even a decent call going. It was recommended to me to try Junior/Youth sizes due to the small frame might fit my mouth better, and within minutes I had a decent yelp and cut going. Now, I will never win a contest, but I have killed several with diaphragm calls now that I got the right fit. For me, Hook's Custom Calls has the right fitment and a good selection to pick from.

Smoke

The problem I have with most mouth calls is the tape isn't flexible enough to fit my mouth. I have to chew on them a while to soften them up to fit right. Only 2 that I can run straight out of the pack is MFK game calls or Houndstooth game calls. Softer tape than most so no chewing to make them fit.

Layne

Mouth calls are impossible for me. Can't even get any sound that resembles a turkey. I gave up trying many years ago and just figured my mouth has a shape that just isn't built to work.
IMO everyone can learn to use a mouth call unless you just can not keep it in your mouth because of gagging. It really just takes a lot of practice and like Gravey said you don't have to sound like a competition caller to kill turkeys.
I do believe that every turkey hunter should learn to use one for when those turkeys get in close, keeps you hands free for shooting and cuts down on any movement from working some other type call.
cutting and bending them is a good idea but just don't bend or cut too much, you can definitely mess up the tension on a call by bending it too much.

PalsPal

IMO everyone can learn to use a mouth call unless you just can not keep it in your mouth because of gagging. It really just takes a lot of practice

That's the key. I struggled terribly and about gave up until my wife took one and made a squeal with it (which was more than I had been able to do). I wasn't going to be outdone.

With that said I think a person, with practice, can use just their mouth for soft clucks and trailing yelps for very close calling if needed.

REN

took me a solid year of practicing when I first started to get to a point I wasnt embarrassed to do it in the woods or in front of someone else lol. These days its all I use 90% of the time.

OffHand85

Tom teasers Bahamas mama no cut double reed and the V cut double reed work for me, atleast I've made some gobble and not fly away! Lol
I tried the flextone but the tape is too rough and doesn't form and I ended up cutting too much away, wasted 8$ quickly...
Wood haven red wasp is pretty easy to use, still working it but I'll get there.

REN

I dont know if they still make them but HS or Primos use to make a mouth call with a plastic roof thing on it that allegedly made it easier to blow especially for new people or people with gag reflexes. No idea if it actually worked or if they still even make them but may want to look around for one of those to try if all else fails.

REN

I dont know if they still make them but HS or Primos use to make a mouth call with a plastic roof thing on it that allegedly made it easier to blow especially for new people or people with gag reflexes. No idea if it actually worked or if they still even make them but may want to look around for one of those to try if all else fails.

looks like primos still makes them.

Rakkin6

I could never get anything out of those. I just learned on a basic two reed call primos limb hanger call. Not that I am great with mouth calls but can run most now has long has the fit is good. I have to order my gooserbat calls uncut and cut them myself at first I sounded like crap with them because they have a longer shape to them.

JCDEERMAN

I remember those. I also remember I they still didn't work for me 🤣 . I've gotten a little better over the years. With the 2 two reeds I got from Hooks a week ago, I've been impressed with the sounds coming out of my mouth. I guess we will find out tomorrow morning.

Latest posts