Candied Jalapenos

exokie

I don't remember what I was looking for on line when I found recipes for these but after one batch, I'm hooked forever. There were quite a few recipes but this is the one I tried.

Candied Jalapenos / Cowboy candy

3 lbs. fresh, firm jalapenos
2 cups cider vinegar
6 cups sugar
½ tsp turmeric
½ tsp celery seed
3 tsp granulated garlic
1 tsp ground cayenne pepper

Directions:
Remove and discard stems from peppers. Slice the peppers into uniform 1/8-1/4 inch rounds and set aside.

In a large pot, bring cider vinegar, sugar, turmeric, celery seed, granulated garlic and cayenne pepper to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.

Add the pepper slices and simmer for exactly 4 minutes.

Using a slotted spoon, transfer the peppers into clean, sterile canning jars to within ¼ inch of the upper rim of the jar.

Turn heat up under the pot with the syrup and bring to a full rolling boil. Boil hard for 6 minutes.

Ladle the boiled syrup into the jars over the jalapenos. Insert a bamboo skewer or similar object two or three times to release any trapped pockets of air. Adjust the level of the syrup if necessary. Wipe rims of jars with a clean, damp paper towel and fix on new, two-piece lids to finger-tip tightness.

At this point you can go two different ways.

Jars may be placed and kept in the refrigerator or you can process them in a hot water bath and store them at room temperature for up to a year. When using the hot water bath method, after water has come to a boil, process ½ pins for 10 minutes and pints for 15 minutes.

Allow to mellow for a least two weeks, but preferably a month before eating ( if possible ).

** The leftover syrup can be processed just like the peppers and is supposedly good when brushed on grilled meat or added to potato salad.

WTM

yeah a some dude on here posted it a couple of years ago for pulled pork. also goes well with hamburgers, hot dogs, cheese and crackers. taste like crap on pizza though.

i use the left over juice to cook a chinese buffet style princess chicken.

Latest posts