Camp cooking recipes

FULLDRAWXX75

Here is something my kids like when we go camping........

Pending on the number of folks eatting, take large potatoes, cut them cross ways "nearly" through but not completely every 1/4" the length of the tater. I every other cut place a slice of onion, in the cuts between the onions place a small pat of butter, place in the center of a piece of alum. foil, cut some carrots length wise and lay a few strips on each side of the potato.

Wrap the entire thing up, then double wrap with a second piece of foil, place directly in the hot coal of the fire. Pending on the heat, rotate the taters every 15 mins or so until done.

These are a huge hit, you can make them a few hrs. ahead and keep them chilled in the cooler until ready to cook.

FDXX75

jb3

FD, same recipie a guy in my office does when hiking/camping with the scouts. He's a leader and he lets the boys make their own "packet" of food and throw them on the coals to cook. He said it gets crazy sometimes if there is a large group.

TennesseeRains

I bet bowriter has a few generalities on camp cooking - as he doesn't have recipes per se.

I bet he could post them - when he quits 'hobbling around like and old man' due to a broken toe, et. al. whilst opening the fridge!

:)

FULLDRAWXX75

tndrbstr said:
FULLDRAWXX75 said:
Here is something my kids like when we go camping........

Pending on the number of folks eatting, take large potatoes, cut them cross ways "nearly" through but not completely every 1/4" the length of the tater. I every other cut place a slice of onion, in the cuts between the onions place a small pat of butter, place in the center of a piece of alum. foil, cut some carrots length wise and lay a few strips on each side of the potato.

FDXX75

Wrap the entire thing up, then double wrap with a second piece of foil, place directly in the hot coal of the fire. Pending on the heat, rotate the taters every 15 mins or so until done.

These are a huge hit, you can make them a few hrs. ahead and keep them chilled in the cooler until ready to cook.

FDXX75

Come on Fulldraw!..WHERES THE BEEF!? :D ....
Seriously, We make about the same thing that we have always called poorboys.... take a potatoe and onion slice about 3/8 to 1/2 of an inch thich. Them pat out a hamburger patty in the same general shape and size of the potatoe slice and season it anyway you like it. Then put in a little butter and double wrap in aluminun foil and cook in the coals. no need to turn em because they have coals on top and bottom......I always make a slight depression in the ground next to the fire and put down red coals, then I insulate the poorboys somewhat on top and bottom with ashes and then put more red coals on top.......bout 45 to 50 minutes......

I serve these as the side dish to grilled sirloins or venison steaks cooking on the fire....................LOL

Latest posts