Camouflage Patterns.....

Willysman

Original Realtree I believe. Crumbleys treebark was, I believe, the first commercial camo made. MO Bottomland soon followed and in my opinion was and still is the best camo made (original) . I talked with Toxey Hass one time and asked if he would ever bring back the bottomland. He said you can count on it. He did but it was not the original. Sometime back the original was reintroduced and you are seeing it everywhere. Some of this camo today doesn't blend in with anything in nature.

BSK

Original Realtree I believe. Crumbleys treebark was, I believe, the first commercial camo made. MO Bottomland soon followed and in my opinion was and still is the best camo made (original) . I talked with Toxey Hass one time and asked if he would ever bring back the bottomland. He said you can count on it. He did but it was not the original. Sometime back the original was reintroduced and you are seeing it everywhere. Some of this camo today doesn't blend in with anything in nature.
I had a long talk with Toxey about how he came up with the original Bottomland camo pattern. He said he went into a meeting with fabric makers carry bags of dirt, bark and leaves, saying he wanted to match these colors exactly. It was good camo.

TheLBLman

I still think the original Trebark was the best treestand camo ever made.
I also think likewise.
Just generally speaking, most camo patterns are little more than marketing gimmicks to convince you to part with your money.

As a hunter, real "camouflagement" is more often tied in with the particular hunter set-up, a lack of hunter movement, the timing of any movement, sounds, lack of human scent, then the type material composing the outer fabric more than the "camo pattern" of that outer fabric.

But as to how a hunter can increase his camo patterns' effectiveness, I believe often it is a "mix & match" of ANY two patterns creating better camoulfagement than whatever any one pattern. What I'm saying is wear a different pattern on your legs than on your upper body.

When hunting in a typical treestand, I often like to not only have different patterns on my lower & upper body, but also a sleeveless vest as my most outerwear, that is a darker pattern than my arms. Of course, if it's gun hunting, that vest should be fluorescent orange. But in Tennessee, the vest can be a camouflage pattern (containing fluorescent orange with lots of heavy black line breakups).

jemo4570

That is Realtree Green Leaf. The Original Realtree didn't have the leaves. This was the second Realtree pattern Bill created.
Second gen Realtree. First gen didn't have leaves. At least the early stuff I had didn't.
My favorite all time was the original Treebark! Simple but effective.
I have a picture somewhere of me and 3 hunting buddies standing in front of trees with each wearing different camo that was available at the time (mid 80's I think). I set up a 35mm camera on a tripod 25-30 yards away and set the timer. I was wearing The original Treebark and blended in with the trees better than the rest. Their camo was mossy oak, Realtree and woodland. The woodland was too dark and the mossy and Realtree patterns were too tight and dark causing them to look like a dark spot in front of the trees.
My 2¢.

utvolsfan77

I have a picture somewhere of me and 3 hunting buddies standing in front of trees with each wearing different camo that was available at the time (mid 80's I think). I set up a 35mm camera on a tripod 25-30 yards away and set the timer. I was wearing The original Treebark and blended in with the trees better than the rest. Their camo was mossy oak, Realtree and woodland. The woodland was too dark and the mossy and Realtree patterns were too tight and dark causing them to look like a dark spot in front of the trees.
My 2¢.
If you ever locate that photo, please post it here. Nothing beats real world experience!

Wrangler95

When I started turkey hunting in the mid 80's I had some of Jim Crumbly original trebark pattern that I still have,It blends better than any camo in front of alot of tree's!I spoke with Jim at the NWTF convention and told him I still had some of his trebark original and he seemed pleased!I think he has a camo gun dipping business now!

Willysman

I believe Spartan. We, myself included, think we overstress camouflage. When I started hunting there was no commercial camo being made. We just wore subdued color clothing and killed as much then as we do now. I very rarely ever wear camo when I am deer hunting. I agree with LBL man. Movement, scent, set up is the best camo.

TNPete1

Not on the "identification" subject, and will probably get some pushback on this, but camo is sold to hunters, not animals. Like fishing lures, we buy it because the way it looks to us. As long as it breaks your outline, most animals could give a rats rear end what you're wearing or how much you paid for it. Several years back, I was leaving a blind while wearing a brown plaid hoodie. Suddenly a 6ptr stepped into the field I was walking through at about 30yds. I froze. We had a standoff for at least 5mins while he did the "head bob" dance trying to figure me out. It finally just meandered away looking back only once. It was then it dawned on me that hunters (long before myself) killed huge amounts of deer wearing red plaid shirts, pants, and hats. Long before tree stands or modern camo blinds. It was either spot n stalk, or sitting on the ground, sometimes behind a pile of sticks. Expensive camo is over rated. Movement will get you busted no matter what you wear. Yes, I've also killed turkeys on those cold spring mornings wearing that same brown plaid hoodie. Too bad I can't find a face mask and pants in brown plaid.

redblood

I love the old patterns too. All the shows have designer city boy hunters wearing some gray and black urban jungle sitka print.

I like to hunt like its 1992

Attachments

• 39C1F93C-F4DA-422F-BC5B-9F8BE08C5E66.png
    39C1F93C-F4DA-422F-BC5B-9F8BE08C5E66.png
    120.9 KB · Views: 55

Latest posts