Camera on Scrape

Non-Typical

I have found a couple of large fresh scrapes and would like to see what's doing it. I have a Moultrie black flash camera I was thinking about setting out to get a few photos. Do you think that would spook the deer?

bbuck14

I've put them over scrapes many times with good results. You'll be surprised how many bucks will use the same scrape.

bbuck14

Back when the cameras were 35mm I had one over a scrape with 12 different bucks on it. Didn't seem to bother them at all.

PcDeer

I don't have a problem putting a black flash camera over a scrape. Call me crazy and its probably coincidence it seems like bucks notice my ir cameras more than they used to. So personally I will put a black flash on a scrape but not a IR.

BSK

For those with black-flash cams, scrapes are THE best location for your cameras. A good traditional scrape will draw every buck within hundreds of acres. There is no better location to census your local buck population just before the rut.

For those with red-glow IR cams, you can still monitor scrapes, but to keep from spooking bucks away, you will need to mount the cameras high and point them down toward the scrape. I would mount them AT LEAST 8 feet high to keep the camera's flash out of the sight-line of deer.

Anyone who says white-flash or IR cams don't cause bucks to avoid an area once they've seen the flash has simply never used a black-flash cam and observed the difference themselves.

hoyt30

I have seen how they act with ir cams many times. Seems to be the mature deer that catch on, when they see the ir itll be the last time I get them on cam incase I move it often. Just ordered 2 covert mp 6 black flash this morning. Cant wait to see the difference. Already have a few scrapes to put em on.

BSK

Your going to love those Coverts hoyt30!

Just remember the flash isn't as powerful on a black-flash cam, so you may have to place the camera a tad closer to where you expect the deer to be. A good IR cam flash can illuminate 40-60 feet. It's rare to get more than 35-40 feet of illumination from a black-flash.

Boll Weevil

BSK said:
A good traditional scrape will draw every buck within hundreds of acres.

Leading up to actual breeding, how long would one need to run a camera on any given community scrape to have a reasonable chance of getting pics of most of the bucks?

BSK

2-3 weeks, IF it is a traditional scrape (a scrape that appears in the same place year after year--that's how the bucks know where to go to visit it).

Latest posts