Camera Features ?

Mike Belt

Someone refresh my memory. What are the differences between black flash, infra-red, red glow, etc? Which is most effective for night time pics and which has a better range in feet?

easy45

Black flash doesn't show any kind of light when it takes a pic while IR has red lights that glow, don't have any experience with black flash so don't how the pics look

TheLBLman

Mike Belt said:
What are the differences between black flash, infra-red, red glow, etc?
Actually, it's just an issue of black flash (true infra-red) or red glow (falsely advertised as infra-red).

The red flash sometimes spooks deer worse than white flash.
Sometimes neither will spook a particular deer in a particular circumstance. But older deer are most susceptible to "cam avoidance" when "flashed", either with red or traditional white flash.

On the other hand, black flash will not spook deer. They absolutely don't see it. Flash range of black flash is slightly less than red glow flash, and both these are less than white flash. White flash will produce the best quality pics, but with the least repeat subjects. They'll keep coming in front of black flash, while they sometimes "go around" red and white after being flashed just once.

What's best just depends on what you're wanting most, i.e. quality pics (white flash) or repeat pics of older deer (black flash). Personally, I have no use for red glow flash.

BuckNrut

Also might add that most camera makers have been able to use a much lower amount of IR illumination since the first models used. These were the models like the Cuddeback No Flash that absulutely scared the bejeebers out of deer that looked directly into the units. That units no flash simply stood for no white flash.

The new low glow cameras do not have the same spooking effect those early units did.

The scoutguard units came out in 2007 and used the low glow.

Reconyx has a Hc500 low glow which is a small amount of visible IR array and the HC600 which is a totally invisible IR that gives the camera light for the image.

All black flash, no glow units get motion blur in alot of their images because the shutter speed must be much slower to get enough light in for the picture.

JCDEERMAN

Hillbilly Hunter said:
which is better, Reconyx, Uway, or homebrew?

Depends on what you are intending it for.

Reconyx - black flash will not spook deer. Scrapes, trails, pinch-points, etc...Good daytime pics and adequate black and white night time pics (but TONS of pics for different angles). BIG plus!

Homebrews - white flash for longer distances and GOOD quality pics day or night. Foodplots, scrapes, trails, everywhere....BUT they will spook deer quite a bit more often than black flash. Quality day and night pics

BSK

Hillbilly Hunter said:
which is better, Reconyx, Uway, or homebrew?

No doubt about it, Reconyx is best. But get ready to empty your wallet. You pay for what you get.

The only thing a homebrew has over Reconyx is higher-quality pictures, but usually at the cost of no black-flash option. And black-flash is critical.

TheLBLman

I have been very diappointed with the Uways.
They've proven to be very unreliable cams for me, although I understand BSK has had good "luck" with one. Luck of the draw, I guess.

FOR THE MONEY, don't think you can beat a "Home-brew".

BSK

Wes Parrish said:
I have been very diappointed with the Uways.
They've proven to be very unreliable cams for me, although I understand BSK has had good "luck" with one. Luck of the draw, I guess.

FOR THE MONEY, don't think you can beat a "Home-brew".

Actually, I've currently got 7 Uway NT50Bs. ALL of them have minor issues (not always taking the burst mode pictures). However, all of them functioned until recently. My three oldest have started to act up to the point they aren't usable.

I would love to just buy all Reconyx, but that's outside my financial ability. I may try the Bushnell Black-flash next year or any other black-flash that comes out (although I hate some of the limitations of the Bushnells).

TheLBLman

BSK said:
Actually, I've currently got 7 Uway NT50Bs. ALL of them have minor issues (not always taking the burst mode pictures). However, all of them functioned until recently. My three oldest have started to act up to the point they aren't usable.
Assume none of your 7 are older than 18 months?
That would mean 3 out of 7 stopped working in about 18 months?

Wonder how many of the 7 will still be working a year from now?

While I don't know what happened to the 4 Uways of mine returned under warranty, I do know that only 1 of the 6 I've had my hands on (since October 2010, and all NT50Bs) is currently in my hands and still working. I have little hope this single remaining working unit will be of any lasting value, and would never take a chance buying another one.

When weighing out the cost of the Reconyx to these, I'd assume that 6 of 7 Reconyx would still be functioning several years down the road. So over time Reconyx may cost less than either Uway or Bushnell, while paying you the huge dividend of total satisfaction.

BSK

Wes Parrish said:
That would mean 3 out of 7 stopped working in about 18 months?

That is correct Wes. The three NT50Bs that just died were all 18 months old. Not old enough for a $300 piece of equipment to die.

I don't know what I'm going to do. Current homebrews have too many limitations (as well as difficulty achieving black-flash), the current crop of "cheap" black-flashes all have reliability issues as well as firmware and feature limitations, and the only good cameras are too expensive...

BSK

My perfect camera:

Black-flash

Powerful flash projecting 70+ feet into the dark

Crisp, clear day and night images (color during the day, black-and-white at night)

Minimal motion blur at night (although a powerful black-flash will help reduce motion blur problems)

Company sells a portable unit for viewing pictures in the field and storing images from multiple cameras

Reliable (average unit lifespan of 3 years)

Adjustable number of burst mode pictures per trigger, from 1 to 10

Infinitely adjustable delay time between triggers

Wide-angle trigger with a trigger speed, day and night, no slower than 1.5 seconds

Adjustable trigger sensativity for summer versus winter use

A water-tight, lockable front access door (I hate bottom access units)

Unit body has a hole for using cable lock

And if I'm "shooting for the moon" feature-wise, how about an adjustable mounting bracket that allows for mounting on leaning trees or for aiming uphill/downhill

Mike Belt

Sounds good to me BSK. Where do I get one, lol? My buddy just got his first ReconyX 600 no glo. He found them on EBAY for $499 with no tax and no shipping cost.

JCDEERMAN

Hillbilly Hunter said:
Where are Reconyx made? I am scared to dump $550 in one with only a one year warranty.

In the USA. Here is their contact information:

http://www.reconyx.com/page.php?id=63

Other than that, it looks like Wisconsin (If your looking for specifics)

HH - I have 2 of them. They are the only cameras that I know 100% that they have done their job when I'm walking up to them to check the pics. There is not a doubt in my mind when I see a scrape refreshened, that it didnt take any pics. Now, with other cameras, I dont know until I put the SD card into the reader

Now, I need to knock on wood ;) :D