New Camera Purchase

Creek

I've been reading some about trail cameras and different tips on how to camouflage and secure them. I've had a couple of cameras in the past, but that was many years ago. Man, how things have changed :confused:
(1) I'm looking for a Verizon cellular trail camera.
(2) I would like notifications if something trips the camera, be able to see it and/or able to dial in and look randomly if I want to.
(3) I would like to be able to record videos if desired.
(4) I care very much about having clarity.
(5) A history of dependability and customer service would be nice.
(6) I prefer to stay under $500 if possible, considering what I'm asking for.
Lastly, it's relatively important that it's user-friendly, if possible. I have learned how to do a few things on forums and such, but I'm not very tech savvy. Our youngest son will probably help me, but I would like to know how to navigate the system myself.
I'm tired of looking on the internet, trying to choose and thought I'd ask here.

Last edited:

PickettSFHunter

Do you have any specific model you would suggest considering what I'm searching for?
If you want the Cadillac, then the GoLive. More basic would be the GoCam. I have both, the GoLive is definitely the Cadillac but I'm personally happy with GoCam for my uses. You will see more clarity on the newer GoLive.

Creek

Well, I did some more digging in the archives of this forum and combined it with info from the internet. I called Spartan four different times, so I left a message on my final call, but have yet to get a call back. I do understand that could be due to unforeseen circumstances, not to mention the holidays. I then called Browning and talked to a lady on the first try and told her what I wanted out of the trail cam and the Browning Defender Ridgeline Pro should fill all my needs for the most part except for going live. However, she said this camera could send video clips to my phone. I feel this is my best option at this time and I might upgrade to a Spartan or similar quality if I want to go "live" at a later time. Factoring in the price, I bought two. Please tell me I didn't make a mistake. They were on sale for 79.99

Last edited:

CrossVolle

1701475991834.png

1701476027931.png

Cell cam examples from the app. Obviously the pics on the card will be better. This is a defender pro scout max. Run all browning non-cell as well and will never buy another brand.

TheLBLman

I bought two. Please tell me I didn't make a mistake. They were on sale for 79.99
If you have "decent" cell service in the area you're using them, you should love them.
Great price on a great cam.

I had tested the original Browning Defender Ridgeline (not the later "pro" version you're getting), and was disappointed in its reception, believed due to its internal antennae. My understanding is the newer models have better reception.

Also, the original Ridgeline required 16 AA batteries, whereas the newer version you're getting only needs 8.

I am using numerous Browning models, but most of Browning cell cams are the original Pro Scout, with which I've been very pleased.

Creek

View attachment 205801
View attachment 205802
Cell cam examples from the app. Obviously the pics on the card will be better. This is a defender pro scout max. Run all browning non-cell as well and will never buy another brand.

Looks good. Thanks for the input.

I never thought of asking the company when I called. Do you know if there is a limit to how big of memory SD card I can insert? Because I want to set it up, tie it off, and open it as few times as possible.

And what are the longest lasting batteries for these?

Creek

If you have "decent" cell service in the area you're using them, you should love them.
Great price on a great cam.

I had tested the original Browning Defender Ridgeline (not the later "pro" version you're getting), and was disappointed in its reception, believed due to its internal antennae. My understanding is the newer models have better reception.

Also, the original Ridgeline required 16 AA batteries, whereas the newer version you're getting only needs 8.

I am using numerous Browning models, but most of Browning cell cams are the original Pro Scout, with which I've been very pleased.
There is good reception where these will be located. Thanks for the input.

I told the lady I spoke with at the company, I've had trail cams in the past, but that was many years ago.
I can remember when guys were online selling homemade trail cameras :D

Last edited:

CrossVolle

Looks good. Thanks for the input.

I never thought of asking the company when I called. Do you know if there is a limit to how big of memory SD card I can insert? Because I want to set it up, tie it off, and open it as few times as possible.

Run energizer lithiums and I think they take up to 512gb cards but not positive. Throw a 128 in there and should be fine. But always check specs.

TheLBLman

These Brownings will accept up to a 512gb sd card.
Most other cell cams will not accept an sd card larger than 32gb.
This is just one of many reasons I've found the Brownings to be the better values.

If you're not running video, you'll likely not need an sd card larger than 64gb.
If running video, go with a 128gb card (or maybe even a 256).
AND, go with high card transfer rates, such as 140.
The high-transfer-rate cards will extend battery life.

I mainly use Energizer lithiums.
If you use alkalines, your batteries will likely die before you fill the cards.

In NON-cell cams, I also use rechargeable batteries much of the time.

In CELL cams, the only rechargeable battery I use is this:

Due to their initial expense, I'm only using these in a couple of cell cams, and mainly as an experiment. But the cell cams they're in each require 16 AA's --- OUCH!

TheLBLman

Also, unless you really do NEED "instant" immediate uploads, simply set your cell cams to upload pics 2 to 8 times daily (and not at night while you're sleeping!). The less frequent the uploads, the longer your batteries will last.

Latest posts