Calm Wind and Deer Movement

UTGrad

Watching the forecast and Saturday morning could have light and variable wind to calm conditions.

What are your observations with calm conditions and deer movement? I've read that deer are more comfortable moving with some wind moving the air around to help them scent check for danger or other deer. It seems the last few calm mornings I've hunted the Hunt was slow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

huvrman

I spend probably 250 hours in the woods each season. I've seen most of my deer with a light breeze of consistent direction. I prefer hunting under no wind conditions so I can hear better, but that usually means when the wind does move, it can come from any direction and go in any direction, especially when hunting the draws and deep hollows around Dale Hollow Lake. Has resulted in me being winded on many occasions. So, not sure if that is what the deer prefer, but it sure helps me with scent control...

catman529

I don't think the deer have a preference so much as the hunters. Its easier to get winded on calm days when the deer get close. But I've seen plenty of deer on calm days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JCDEERMAN

I don't think the deer have a preference. I prefer a day with a consistent slight breeze 5-8 mph. I personally do not like SUPER CALM days with wet leaves when hunting in thick cover. They can be on top of you before you know it, and most of the time, you can't move much whatsoever. I like a slight breeze and absolutely hate winds over 15 mph - when they call for 15 mph, that usually means 25 where I hunt LOL

Latest posts