CALLS

Buzzard Breath

I've had the same Lohman's 6 in 1 tube for as long as I can remember. They probably don't even make them anymore. I wouldn't even want to guess how many bucks it's called in. It's never been set to anything but the adult/dominant buck setting. It's so old, I wouldn't want to touch the o-ring to adjust it; it'd probably fall apart.

20221005_143110.jpg

Lost Lake

I gave up on grunt calls sometime around the early 2000's. Back in the 80's and 90's, I'd have bet money that I could call up most bucks that I saw from late October thru Mid November.

Seems like after hearing a grunt call where I hunt now, they don't pay attention or go the other way. I prefer to just be still and quiet, don't use fancy scents or lures, and hope the wind doesn't blow from me to them. Seems to work for me.

C1295

What's the consensus on synthetic antlers for rattling? I still have some I bought 30 years ago. Haven't really used them all that much.
honestly never used them myself wondering if any others have ever had luck out of them. I have some still in the package iv never even opened them.

Rakkin6

I have had decent results with real antlers and bags. Never scared one off with one, rattled a big one in last year but never offered a shot. If you use them early season I just "tickle" them together. First week of November through the end of the month I go pretty hard on them. What I have found is that the smaller bucks don't seem to respond to the heavier rattling. Since it usually simulates more dominant bucks fighting. And the buck to doe ratio may effect your results also. So for convenience I would suggest a good rattle bag. Or you can make your own bag by cutting up some small sheds in about 5" pieces and stuffing them in a sock or a couple pair of nylons or dress socks to make your own.

Flintlocksforme

Hit or miss. I have had success with a couple of grunts and light rattling to get the largest bucks I have been lucky to take to come closer to investigate. So I always carry them,I use them to try to get a buck to come my way that's clearly not going to be passing by for a shot. They often they just stop and listen and then carry on. I believe less is more. Never had the can call work though

killingtime 41

Really very sparingly if your gonna use one. I use one and have had results. But like I said don't blow on it like a trumpet. Short grunt after doe bleat and put away. Hour later same short combo. That's my 2 cents

Shanman

I have never had any luck with calls outside of a doe grunt. Figured it had to do with sex ratios out of wack on high pressured properties. With that said I know a guy that consistently calls/rattles in bucks on high pressured areas. So guess I don't have a clue when it comes to calls and rattling. I just concentrate on the wind and sign anymore.

Latest posts