Call shy

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Very very light calling (purrs and clucks) and scratch in the leaves.

Figure out where you think he might go and deer hunt him, just set up and wait for him to walk by.

Spot and sneaky sneak (stalk) him.

Good luck man, very frustrating I know.

VolDoug

RUGER said:
Very very light calling (purrs and clucks) and scratch in the leaves.

Figure out where you think he might go and deer hunt him, just set up and wait for him to walk by.

Spot and sneaky sneak (stalk) him.

Good luck man, very frustrating I know.

Spot on!

Or, try to find another gobbler!

Harvester

I think you may be experiencing the same thing I have been seeing. You call to the bird and he shuts-up or moves on. I shot a good bird tuesday afternoon that had 1 1/8in spurs that was in the same general area. I think the bird ain't call shy but rather tired of getting is butt whipped by the dominate bird. He associates hen sounds with the dominate bird and moves on. Ruger is right on, on how to hunt these birds. Good Luck with him.

bvoss

Throw something a little different at him. Pull out a softer sounding call. Instead of the loud,drawn out yelping, try some one and two not yelps, clucks, purrs, and whines. But best of all find his pattern. These late season birds kind of get into a routine again. It may take you a few days in a row, but pattern him and get where he wants to be.

JDBinTN

harvester said:
I think you may be experiencing the same thing I have been seeing. You call to the bird and he shuts-up or moves on. I shot a good bird tuesday afternoon that had 1 1/8in spurs that was in the same general area. I think the bird ain't call shy but rather tired of getting is butt whipped by the dominate bird. He associates hen sounds with the dominate bird and moves on. Ruger is right on, on how to hunt these birds. Good Luck with him.

Thanks, that's pretty much what happened. He gobbled good till I set up on him and then he just disappered.

VolDoug

JDBinTN said:
Thanks, that's pretty much what happened. He gobbled good till I set up on him and then he just disappered.

That doesn't sound call shy, unless you know he has been hunted hard, ie public land. Most likely, he was with a jealous hen that led him the other way once she heard you calling.

Setterman

Call shy IMO is a misnomer, if birds got call shy then they would avoid all hens period. I do believe in place shy, i.e. places where they have been shot at or spooked. But being shy from the very calls they hear everyday from members of the same species I have always thought was a stretch.

IMO, birds that gobble but shy away from calls are more then likely subdominant birds who are timid about getting whipped. In some cases it may be the spot, or the caller. Being too aggressive, and even sometimes too coy with the calling will send birds packing.

At the end of the day, the best way to explain it is, they are freaking turkeys, and little makes sense sometimes.

BIGORANGE

Setterman said:
Call shy IMO is a misnomer, if birds got call shy then they would avoid all hens period. I do believe in place shy, i.e. places where they have been shot at or spooked. But being shy from the very calls they hear everyday from members of the same species I have always thought was a stretch.

IMO, birds that gobble but shy away from calls are more then likely subdominant birds who are timid about getting whipped. In some cases it may be the spot, or the caller. Being too aggressive, and even sometimes too coy with the calling will send birds packing.

At the end of the day, the best way to explain it is, they are freaking turkeys, and little makes sense sometimes.
Great Post especially the last line! :cool:

Latest posts