Caldwell Lead Sled

Sniper

Anyone have one? I was thinking of ordering one tomorrow. I have been having problems with my shoulder and it is keeping me off the bench. Thought this might be a solution until I figure out what is going on with my shoulder.

Sniper

I was wondering if sand bags would work. I know not as heavy as lead but I figure if I get enough on there it should be ok.

The real nasty kickers are what I need it for.

Sniper

I see they have two models but have not really studied what the difference between them is?

Tiny

Went and dugg the ctalog up, to be sure on this.

The DFT model has windage and elevation ajustments basically a BR type rest on the front ie the Rock BR and has rear elevation,and the front cradle is adjustable front to rear.Much better,IMO, over the other version which is basicaally fixed on everything except front elevation.

If I was getting one it would be the DFT. I came to that after looking at both at Gander early in the year.

Tiny

Worm said:
I got the lead sled dft. Worth every dime. Filled two bags with dry sand and it dont move.

Worm,

Wondering if it messes up ones "Feel" for the rifle or if the rifles shoot the same off the rest due to this??

Whelen Man

R.I.P.
They look good but I've always worried that the increased resistance to recoil could cause problems with some stocks. I worry that some nice wood stocks might have problems. This may be unfounded though. Right now I need one to hunt with what with my head problem. LOL!

Worm

2-Step Enabled
Tiny said:
Worm said:
I got the lead sled dft. Worth every dime. Filled two bags with dry sand and it dont move.

Worm,

Wondering if it messes up ones "Feel" for the rifle or if the rifles shoot the same off the rest due to this??

Not really. The way the rest sits back on your shoulder it feels just about the same and shooting off bags. It has the adjustment under the stock and is in the same place as a squeeze bag would be. I shot off the lead sled then sand bags. POI was same.

This rest is great for sighting in light or hard kicker and what I use it for, testing reloads where I want the gun aimed at the same spot for groups. You could even hook up a vaccum pump for the trigger and take human error out.

megalomaniac

They are pretty nice to reduce fatigue with hard recoiling rifles in long range sessions. Be beware, I have had POI change with one rifle from bags to the lead sled (another 3 or 4 which didn't). So it's not an absolute guarantee that POI won't shift.

I have also heard reports of wood stocks in hard recoiling rifles cracking with repeated use in the lead sled. Just something else to consider...

BTW, I also use 4 10# plates in the tray instead of lead shot. Works just fine.

Sniper

I am going to go with the original model. I just can't justify paying almost double price for the newer one. Also I am really now just a cheap b'astard and looking for anyway possible to not have to spend anymore on something than I have to. I have another trip to Africa to plan for!

Whelen Man

R.I.P.
Sniper, that shoulder problem wouldn't be related to a certain 358 STA would it? I think if I spent time at the range with one (which I want to build) I would also want the lead sled. Pains not a whole lot of fun and it leads to flinching. I always wear good ear protection and a Past brand recoil shield at the range even with lighter rifles just to keep from getting problems. Nothing sissy about it. I figure if I don't let the rifle hurt me it will pay dividends in the flinch and accuracy department.

Sniper

I'm not sure what the problem is. I woke up two weeks ago with a terrible pain in my right shoulder. Went to the doctor and they do not think it is a rotator cuff tear but maybe bursitis or tendonitis. They gave me some medicine and it is maybe 25-50% better than two weeks ago but not healed. I tried to shoot some the other day and it was quite uncomfortable off the bench.

Latest posts