Buying a Kimber 84M. Need "scope" advice

BluegrassDan

Howdy fellas,

I've fallen in love with a Kimber 84M Classic Select Grade (French Walnut) in .308 Win. I'm seriously considering topping it with a Leupold VX-II 4x12x40 with parallax adjustment.

I know that for deer hunting, particularly in the mountains of East Tenneessee, it is more common to use a 3x9x40 without parallax adjustment. After all, deer-sized game won't know the difference. But, I'm quite a "perfectionist" and I'm very interested in trying to get the most out of the gun, not just in the woods but on the range as well.

BTW, I already have a Marlin 336 .30-30 with a 3x9x40 that I've used climbing those steep, wooded mountainsides. Took two deer last season with it, and I'll admit the adjustable power is helpful to shoot between tiny twigs and branches at 60 yards.

I'm buying this rifle because I may have future opportunities to hunt in open fields. (And, to be honest, I just REALLY WANT IT!)

Please let me know if you think the 4x12x40 is just the absolute worst (or best) decision for the .308 Kimber 84M. Thanks in advance!

rdl65

I would top it with a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14X44. I bought my first Zeiss last year and wont be wasting any more money on Leupold.

mr.big

I would get the Conquest in 2.5-8 and mount it low as I could,,

my little bro has one in 7-08 with the 1.75-6 Leuppy and it is super nice rig

UPSman

2-Step Enabled
Leupold VX3 2.5-8x36 in a set of low Talley Lightweight mounts. Otherwise...you end up with a contraption like this:
100_0938.jpg

Model70Man

I'd get the MINOX ZA5 2-10. They actually use the same exact glass as the Conquest. The coatings are a tad different. In low light the lighter colors appear much brighter in the Conquest, however, the darker colors all seem to run together. The MINOX the lighter colors are not as bright, but the darker colors are easier to tell where they start and stop.

I have the MINOX ZA5 3-15 and it is actually smaller than a Conquest 3-9 and lighter. The ocular is the same size as a Leupold VX3. The warranty is just as good as Leupolds.
Pre-64andStainless005.jpg

Kimberman

Zeiss 2.5-8x32
Leupold VX3 2.5-8x36
Leupold VX3 1.75-6x32
Leupold VX2 2-7x33(I have one on my 84M Montana)

Why would you weigh down an ultralight rifle with a heavy scope or put a large objective on such a trim rifle?

Model70Man

DEER ASSASSIN said:
Model70Man said:
I'd get the MINOX ZA5 2-10. They actually use the same exact glass as the Conquest. The coatings are a tad different. In low light the lighter colors appear much brighter in the Conquest, however, the darker colors all seem to run together. The MINOX the lighter colors are not as bright, but the darker colors are easier to tell where they start and stop.

I have the MINOX ZA5 3-15 and it is actually smaller than a Conquest 3-9 and lighter. The ocular is the same size as a Leupold VX3. The warranty is just as good as Leupolds.
Pre-64andStainless005.jpg

what is the price tag on the minox?

My 3-15 is $499. Tax free and free shipping from Doug. The 2-10 is going to be my next venture.

mr.big

I have a Classic Featherweight 270 WSM,,are you saying I would be as happy puttin down 5-- on the 2-10 minox as I would the 2.5-8 conquest,,

it`s a hard thing to switch from something you know is good,,but I believe some here bought the Conquest over a Leupold on my word and if you say that I would be happy with the minox I may try one,,I know of no place I could look through one or even see one up front,,

Model70Man

I love the 2.5-8 Conquest. Too bad they don't make it anymore. It is my favorite scope in the Zeiss Conquest line, however, Minox uses the same glass, is shorter, lighter, and has a smaller ocular than the Conquest. I also like that I can reset my turrets to zero whereas you cannot do that with the Conquest. As for tracking, here is a link to how they track. I believe its on the 4th page of the thread on the tracking. http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthread ... /3857539/1

If you are around Knoxville anytime send me a PM and I'll meet up with you and you can check it out.

Whelen Man

R.I.P.
Model70Man said:
I also like that I can reset my turrets to zero whereas you cannot do that with the Conquest.

Must be some difference from scope to scope. My 4.5-14x44 Conquest can be reset more easily than most....just lift up on the dial and turn until it's zeroed and then let it down. One thing that messes me up though is that the elevation and windage dials on the Conquest rotate backwards compared to most other scopes.

mr.big

Whelen Man said:
Model70Man said:
I also like that I can reset my turrets to zero whereas you cannot do that with the Conquest.

Must be some difference from scope to scope. My 4.5-14x44 Conquest can be reset more easily than most....just lift up on the dial and turn until it's zeroed and then let it down. One thing that messes me up though is that the elevation and windage dials on the Conquest rotate backwards compared to most other scopes.

the power knob is backwards also

Model70Man

Whelen Man said:
Model70Man said:

I guess you learn something new every day. I have 10 Conquest scopes in different power ranges and I had no clue that you could reset the dials. They are all reset now.

redblood

dont go with a big scope. the gun you have chosen is an elegant, refined, classic gun wrappred in beautiful walnut. it is also extremely lightweight and in a short action caliber. it would be a crime to distract your eye from such a beautiful trim rifle with a big, ugly gaudy scope. it would also would not match the gun and distribute weight to the center of your gun and you do not have enough barrel length or weight to offset it. all my guns are lightweight and have good walnut. if they dont i wont buy them, so i have purchased a lot of lightweight scopes to maximize the functions of lightweight rifles. the best and lightest weight i have found is the leupold vari x3 2.5-8x36 MM. It is the brightest scope that leupold makes (exit pupil) and i love the ones i have. i have one my featherweight and my kimber and they are amazing. they are also perfect for east tn, because you will use 2.5 power alot more than 14 power, i guarantee. i have killed a lot of nice bucks with my kimber 84m and the scope fits it perfectly. kimberman also gave you some great options, i have on other guns. I cant stand to see scopes that do not match their rifles. go light and you wont be sorry. a big scope on that gun would be like putting mud tires on a lexus. just dont fit. it is no wonder kimber uses the vx 3 2.5-8 x 36 in all advertisments. here are just a couple pics of mine.

buck2006.jpg

mls001.jpg

Latest posts