Burris FF3

JCDEERMAN

Have any of you all had an issue of your site coming off your settings after sighting in?

I sighted mine in with Federal tss, then a few weeks later decided I wanted to shoot one of my cousins Browning tss loads. It was about a foot right. Didn't think much of it thinking it was just the different load. Well, now that turkey season is days away, I got it out and looked at it.

When I turn the red dot on, it is slightly left when I line it up. That would mean I'd be pulling it right for bullseye - hence why my shot with the browning tss was right.

What would cause this?????

Andy S.

The only way I would trust it has truly shifted is to burn another Federal TSS shell that you know was dead center when you sighted it in. Too many variables shell to shell (powder, powder weight, primer, wad, filler, etc) that could shift POI. Another cheaper way to check POI from season to season to increase confidence the red dot hasn't shifted is to have a box of cheap shells (2.75", #9s lead) and shoot one of those shells on paper (shoot it right after you sighted Federal TSS shells to hit bullseye), record in your notes where the lead #9 pattern hits (likely not bullseye), and reference that POI every spring before season starts, by shooting a cheaper shell. I'd shoot closer, say 25-30 yards for this reference point. I know that was wordy, does it make sense? The absolute best way to guarantee POA=POI is to burn another $10 shell that we all hate to do. $10 shell is cheaper than missing a day of work, burning $20 in gas, and walking a mile in the woods to miss a turkey because POA did not equal POI. My .02

Atchman2

Those shells are ten dollars EACH? Holy cow! I get it though if you finally get one in range and ready to shoot, you want 1000% confidence.

megalomaniac

The reflex red dot sights are tough, but not nearly as tough as a traditional riflescope. It is certainly possible to knock them off zero, and as rough as I am with my turkey gun, it would never surprise me. Add in the mount is another potential weak point as well.

At this point, I'd pull the red dot, recheck the screws on the mount to ensure the mount isn't the issue, then remount and rezero the red dot. That's the only way you are 100% for opening day.

Don'tDrinkTinks

Those shells are ten dollars EACH? Holy cow! I get it though if you finally get one in range and ready to shoot, you want 1000% confidence.
It blows my mind. To each their own but I paid 24.99 for 10 Longbeard XR's and I'm 1000% confident that I'm blowing the brakes off a bird at 40 yards with them.

Atchman2

It blows my mind. To each their own but I paid 24.99 for 10 Longbeard XR's and I'm 1000% confident that I'm blowing the brakes off a bird at 40 yards with them.
I'm not used to shooting that far as I normally hunt with a bow or crossbow. People really shoot 40 yards and over? In my limited years of shotgun hunting I've never shot at one over 15 yards. That is because I'm used to bow hunting I suppose and I hunt in really thick woods where seeing 40 yards isn't likely.

I do have a Mossberg Turkey Thug shotgun, but I mostly use it for coyote hunting. :D I don't even know if I have any turkey loads for it. If I do they are probably #4 Turkey Thug loads. :p (Those should still be okay for 15 yards though).

JCDEERMAN

Either something on the mount is moving or the FF3 is bad.

Line it up to what?
When I line up the rear sight on the gun with the white vertical line on the Burris, the red dot on the glass is off to the left…slightly.

Editing: meant to say "front sight", not "rear sight"

Last edited:

TN Larry

The only way I would trust it has truly shifted is to burn another Federal TSS shell that you know was dead center when you sighted it in. Too many variables shell to shell (powder, powder weight, primer, wad, filler, etc) that could shift POI. Another cheaper way to check POI from season to season to increase confidence the red dot hasn't shifted is to have a box of cheap shells (2.75", #9s lead) and shoot one of those shells on paper (shoot it right after you sighted Federal TSS shells to hit bullseye), record in your notes where the lead #9 pattern hits (likely not bullseye), and reference that POI every spring before season starts, by shooting a cheaper shell. I'd shoot closer, say 25-30 yards for this reference point. I know that was wordy, does it make sense? The absolute best way to guarantee POA=POI is to burn another $10 shell that we all hate to do. $10 shell is cheaper than missing a day of work, burning $20 in gas, and walking a mile in the woods to miss a turkey because POA did not equal POI. My .02
^^^^^^^This. I'd sacrifice another Federal first and if good would check it with a dove load at 25 yards. We check our zero every year with a dove load at 25 yards. I haven't shot paper with my gun and TSS since patterning in 2018. However, there was one year that we questioned my son's gun so ran a TSS through it, but the issue wasn't the gun. :) I am sure that these can me knocked off zero, but I haven't had to move mine or my son's gun since originally zeroing them.

DaveTN

I don't bird hunt, I just commented on this because it came up in the "Latest posts". You guys pay $10 for a shotgun shell to shoot a turkey? That's a shotgun shell, right? Not a 50BMG or a 20MM?

I'm just curious? 🙃

JCDEERMAN

Thanks Andy - yeah makes perfect sense. When I get to our place later today, I'm going to shoot another federal tss through it and then adjust, if I need to. When I shot that browning through it, it was at 30 yards 😳.

I treat my guns as if they are fragile, so how it could have been knocked off, I'm baffled.

REN

I only have a sample size of 2 that I have used the past 5 years or so. Never had an issue with them getting "knocked off" on my 12 or 20 gauge. And I have crawled with them over rocks, dropped them, hit them, and purposely put pressure on them in all directions and they still held true for me.

one note is if you head isnt down on the gun the same as when you sited it in (say you did it on a sled origially but now you are just holding it normal) then it can look different. Doesnt mean its not still on target but it will look different how its lined up based on your eyes and head location.

Andy S.

take off red dot and put the bead on his head
While I agree with this to a point, the majority of shotguns I have patterned over the last decade with turkey chokes and HTL shot (TSS, etc) do not shoot true to aim with bead alone. One should never assume POA equals POI with HTL shot and a constricted turkey choke.

Don'tDrinkTinks

While I agree with this to a point, the majority of shotguns I have patterned over the last decade with turkey chokes and HTL shot (TSS, etc) do not shoot true to aim with bead alone. One should never assume POA equals POI with HTL shot and a constricted turkey choke.
Ya know what? I never thought of this. You might have just cost me a couple hundred bucks.

Latest posts