Bumped nasty large buck... Advice?

Appalachian American

Just like the title says, just before dark yesterday at 4:10 I saw a buck with headgear so large it was almost ugly. I'm talking bases the size of coke cans. I've only hunted the spot twice and have seen deer every time. Oaks in the middle of cedar thicket. Both hunts, the bucks have came from the same direction (the ridgetop). Circumstances, work/ life/ etc.. dictate that I can only hunt this spot once more this season, which will be tomorrow.

Question is, do I hunt the exact same spot in the morning (can't go again in the afternoon) or do I press (blindly as I have done little scouting) closer to the ridgetop??

Thank you in advance,
AA

cbhunter

Hate that it happened like it did. Tell us a little more about bumping him. Was you climbing down, walking through the woods? Did he bust out of there full speed or take a couple hops and stop?

If he had a doe with him, get back in there and hunt him just like you was as he is prone to mistakes.

TreyB

cbhunter":1s2wvfpb said:
Hate that it happened like it did. Tell us a little more about bumping him. Was you climbing down, walking through the woods? Did he bust out of there full speed or take a couple hops and stop?

If he had a doe with him, get back in there and hunt him just like you was as he is prone to mistakes.

This ^^^^^^^

Appalachian American

cbhunter":2l6qypkx said:

Right.. He came in from downwind but I also moved a little hastily to aim at him when I saw him so I'm not sure if he smelled me, saw me, or happened to be after a doe... All I know is that he was was about 60-75 yards away uphill when I saw his outline. he was headed straight to me from a downwind/crosswind. I tried to ease my gun around to get on him when I lost him behind some trees. He must've did a 180 because the next I saw of him he was headed hastily the direction he was originally coming from. I had about a 1-2 second glimpse of him heading out through the trees and he wasn't bounding, tail wasn't up.. He was just below a trot and just above a brisk walk if that makes sense?? He was def. walking with purpose. Sick to my stomach because I'm sure that was my chance this year.. I can still hear his tines raking tree limbs from where he was coming in (I had my walker ear protection/amplifiers on)...

2in1shot

You know he is there. Finding a big buck to hunt is the hardest part of killing big bucks. You are crazy if you don't go back for an all day sit. And hunt that spot every chance you get.

cbhunter

Sounds like he smelled you. That sucks but you'll never know unless you just go back in there and take you chances! Of course i would try to postion myself where i dont think he could possible come from downwind.

When mature bucks sense something wrong, they have a magical way to walk behind a tree never to be seen again. Similar to what you describe except you did catch another glimpse.

Appalachian American

gobblesandgrunts":2maohiln said:
How big of an area is the hardwoods section in the middle? Were you hunting in the middle of it or the perimeter?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

15 acre hardwood in middle of 80'ish acres of cedars I was hunting where I can watch where the main area that the two meet. Seen a lot of does come from cedars, munch acorns, and disappear back in the thicket.

Appalachian American

cbhunter":1kzd9zkm said:
Sounds like he smelled you. That sucks but you'll never know unless you just go back in there and take you chances! Of course i would try to postion myself where i dont think he could possible come from downwind.

When mature bucks sense something wrong, they have a magical way to walk behind a tree never to be seen again. Similar to what you describe except you did catch another glimpse.

Thanks for the advice!

gobblesandgrunts

Appalachian American":3ahvegcm said:
gobblesandgrunts":3ahvegcm said:
How big of an area is the hardwoods section in the middle? Were you hunting in the middle of it or the perimeter?

15 acre hardwood in middle of 80'ish acres of cedars I was hunting where I can watch where the main area that the two meet. Seen a lot of does come from cedars, munch acorns, and disappear back in the thicket.
I'd just hit it hard and stay long as you can. Goodluck!

GRIT

He might have smelled a doe.He might have seen another buck.A limb could have fell and spooked him.He might have seen or smelled a coyote.As long as he didn't see you in that tree your ok.I would get right back in that same spot.

JeepKuntry

If it were me I'd split the difference on your last setup and where you are debating going. Sit as long as possible and make sure you try to play to wind correctly.

catman529

Sounds like he smelled you and he's probably not gonna make the same mistake twice... but he still might be back, just might skirt your setup so I would want to climb a different tree. Definitely go back there if you only got one more day to hunt. Maybe hunt closer to the edge of the cedars and make sure the wind is good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Duck dogn

My advice is hunt a different tree with me 60 or 70 yards from you just incase he does skirt you then I will try not to let him get by.

Latest posts