Bulged primers

Hardwoodmaterials

I tried the CCI 209M primers in a CVA Optima V2 with BH 209 and BH plug but the center of the primer would bulge out so bad that you couldn't open the rifle without pecking the barrel pretty stiff. I tried a couple and they all did it. It completely stopped doing it when I switched to Win209 primers with the same load. Has anyone else ever seen them do that?

mike243

sounds like too much pressure or a loose fit of the primer to me, may be a weaker case than the win209

FrontierGander

yeah whats happening is the loose head space is actually shooting that primer into the firing pin bushing and getting stuck after each shot. If you push the hammer forward while pulling back on the trigger, you will feel the primer pop out of the firing pin bushing.

Try these with the CCI primers. Just drop on into the primer pocket, seat it and then its ready for use.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#9262k611/=udmv1j

Jcalder

FrontierGander said:
yeah whats happening is the loose head space is actually shooting that primer into the firing pin bushing and getting stuck after each shot. If you push the hammer forward while pulling back on the trigger, you will feel the primer pop out of the firing pin bushing.

Try these with the CCI primers. Just drop on into the primer pocket, seat it and then its ready for use.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#9262k611/=udmv1j

Would this be a one shot deal or would the oring last several firings

Hardwoodmaterials

I'm going to shoot the Win209 since they are working fine and are coming out clean after they are shot. I just wanted to know what was causing the CCI to bulge like they do.

MUP

I just noticed the primers were kinda flat faced coming out of my cva kod mag today. Took a closer look and indeed there is quite a gap, I'd guess close to .030" between the primer pocket face and the firing pin block. Does this affect function or ignition in any way? This is using cci mags btw.

FrontierGander

when shooting BH209 it can hurt performance of reliably setting it off. Rather than putting all the hot gasses INTO the plug and into the powder, it just dumps it into the action and gives you a cooler performer primer which is why I said, it can hurt your performance with bh209.

Hardwoodmaterials

I called CVA this morning and talked to them about the primers bulging in one of my Optima V2's and they are mailing me 2 shim kits for free. Will shimming it change POI? After season I will probably tinker with both of them so they will shoot the CCI209M primers cleanly.

Latest posts