Bugs bunny bait?

fishboy1

Stinkin bunny is eating up my garden!

Whats a treat that will lure it into a trap?

Been eating our strawberries and mowing down my beans.

Got a piece of pineapple and 2 blackberries in the trap now.

catman529

I had a young rabbit eating my beet tops a couple years ago.

I sprinkled plenty of ground cayenne pepper on the leaves and ground around the plants.... guess what.... I didn't notice any more vanishing leaves.

However, you don't want spicy strawberries. I would put the pepper on everything you can around the plants without spicing your food, and see if it keeps him out or not.

fishboy1

dh1984 said:
birddog said:
lead is probably the best solution.

X2 that is what i would do but make sure you do it by the rules for hunting rabbits

No hunting...just varmint killing.

Already checked with TWRA and got the go ahead.

Ill try cayenne pepper on the beans and beets too.

Door is still open so I guess he didn't want the pineapple/blackberry combo.

fishboy1

Bugs bunny is really making me look like Elmer Fudd.

Walked the garden this Am ...WITH THE DOG... no bunny. Came in for coffee and saw something running through the garden 30 min later.

Its BUGS!!! Took shotgun and tried to put the sneak on him. Popped his head up in front of my plastic water barrel but I didn't want to blast my 55 gallon drum. Bugs slipped out between the shed and water barrel passing by the live trap on his way out of the garden.

THINK I spooked him off before he wiped out another row of beans. Have to go check in a little while.

fishboy1

I figured out how it uses the side of the shed as an escape route and made a snare out of picture hanger wire. If bugs shows up again and tries to sneak out the side door.......

It will probably get past my trap but at least I feel like I am doing SOMETHING !

That long eared galoot has destroyed half my purple hulled pea patch. Or beans...Cant remember what I planted in that section.:D

fishboy1

I think Bugs outsmarted himself. Rabbit was squished in the road next to my driveway.

Changing his approach to the garden might have avoided me, but the Michelin man got him!

:D