Buck Age

JJBraves

Keep in mind this is a buck in knox county where there isn't much food around other than a few little plots I've created, but what are y'all's thoughts on how old this deer is? I have a couple videos for a size comparison to younger deer to help.

Ski

Not to go against the grain but he looks like a tip of the pyramid promising 3.5yr old to me, although I wouldn't be surprised if he was 4.5. Really hard to say without history but I'm leaning 3.5.

Here's my thinking. He's way to clean to be old. No scars or tufted hide or wrinkles/folds. His face is sleek & slender with no sag whatsoever in his jowls. His tarsals aren't very bushy and they're barely stained. He's got dumbo ears that indicate he's smaller stature than he looks, and the video of him with that 2yr old reinforces the notion because he's barely bigger than the 2yr old. He's also hitting a mineral site and aggressively guarding it, something a fully mature buck likely wouldn't even be interested in this time of year because his body doesn't need the minerals. A young & growing buck very much needs those minerals. A 2yr old also wouldn't be likely to encroach on a truly mature buck like that, either. Those two bucks are closer in age than first glance would suggest, peers if you will who are bachelored up.

So all things considered I think you're looking at a rare gem of a young buck right there. Just my opinion though.

JJBraves

Not to go against the grain but he looks like a tip of the pyramid promising 3.5yr old to me, although I wouldn't be surprised if he was 4.5. Really hard to say without history but I'm leaning 3.5.

Here's my thinking. He's way to clean to be old. No scars or tufted hide or wrinkles/folds. His face is sleek & slender with no sag whatsoever in his jowls. His tarsals aren't very bushy and they're barely stained. He's got dumbo ears that indicate he's smaller stature than he looks, and the video of him with that 2yr old reinforces the notion because he's barely bigger than the 2yr old. He's also hitting a mineral site and aggressively guarding it, something a fully mature buck likely wouldn't even be interested in this time of year because his body doesn't need the minerals. A young & growing buck very much needs those minerals. A 2yr old also wouldn't be likely to encroach on a truly mature buck like that, either. Those two bucks are closer in age than first glance would suggest, peers if you will who are bachelored up.

So all things considered I think you're looking at a rare gem of a young buck right there. Just my opinion though.
That is what I was thinking. I was thinking that he was around 3.5 just solely on how slender his face and neck are. He has an almost identical brother that he had been with all summer that I haven't seen since October. I had this buck at about 15 yards in November but never had a shot to present itself. Can't wait to see what he does this year.

Ski

That is what I was thinking. I was thinking that he was around 3.5 just solely on how slender his face and neck are. He has an almost identical brother that he had been with all summer that I haven't seen since October. I had this buck at about 15 yards in November but never had a shot to present itself. Can't wait to see what he does this year.

I think if he sticks around, you're gona like it. That dude is gona be BIG. And yeah he's a good buck for Knoxville .... or anywhere! I hope you tag him.

Snake

Look at his back though . A wore torn buck should be lean right now but my guess of 4.5 is the slight sag in his back not much but just a little . Wouldn't be surprised that he is 3.5 though .

Ski

Look at his back though . A wore torn buck should be lean right now but my guess of 4.5 is the slight sag in his back not much but just a little . Wouldn't be surprised that he is 3.5 though .

Yeah I agree he's got a well developed, healthy, muscular body. At first glance I was thinking he was all over 4.5. And he might be??? But the deep chest and swayed back are the only things that look mature. Everything else, including his behavior look immature. I guess it's a coin toss with heads being an old buck that looks young, or tails being a young buck with overdeveloped body. I really could see it either way but think odds are tilted toward being young.

Hopefully we see him again next season with the OP posing in the grip n grin!

1984dog

Well developed antlers, front shoulders thicker than hind quarter, no sag in belly or back, thick neck. Built like a Kentucky Derby race horse. All these say 3.5 year old to me. However, I see that the videos were shot in late January (post rut) and it is not common for a buck to loose 25 - 30 lbs out chasing does and not eating. He could be a wore out 4..5 year old, but my gut tells me 3.5 years.

kaizen leader

JJBraves

He's still sticking around and still hasn't dropped his antlers yet. By far the best and most clear pictures I've gotten of him so far.

Attachments

• 5B815DFA-AAE2-49AF-9596-7C1E6A810152.jpeg
    5B815DFA-AAE2-49AF-9596-7C1E6A810152.jpeg
    415.6 KB · Views: 56
  • 5445B8B2-16BF-4362-B5BB-66955208ADFD.jpeg
    5445B8B2-16BF-4362-B5BB-66955208ADFD.jpeg
    416.7 KB · Views: 57

Latest posts