BSK, gonna love this one

BSK

This guy is the epitome of the problem I so often rail about: self-proclaimed experts (who usually come from the trophy hunter ranks) spouting junk biology and management information.

JCDEERMAN

Dang, the rutting moon is extremely late this year! November 17th.....I might not hunt until the second weekend in muzzy

:D what idiots

jlmustain

Do you think any of his info' has to do with locale? I'm not saying what's he's written is correct, but it's not like he doesn't have any deer on the wall.

BSK

jlmustain said:
Do you think any of his info' has to do with locale?

No. Nowhere in the whitetail's range is breeding timing driven by moon conditions. Each location will have its own unique breeding timing (peak dates), and that timing is the same year after year, regardless of full moon timing and whether or not hunters actually witness it. And that last part is critical. What hunters see and what is really going on biologically can be two very, VERY different things.

I'm not saying what's he's written is correct, but it's not like he doesn't have any deer on the wall.

jlmustain,

I don't want the following comments to sound like I'm picking on you personally, because I'm certainly not. But this erroneous idea that because someone is a successful killer of big bucks makes them a knowledgeable biologist runs rampant within the hunting community. But think about it. That's like saying a highly successful serial killer would make a great doctor. If someone is great at killing people they must know everything there is to know about human biology. Would you have wanted Jeffrey Dahmer as your brain surgeon?

I'm not saying successful trophy hunters don't know anything about deer. What I'm saying is the knowledge required to be a successful trophy hunter is VERY different than what is required to understand deer herd biology and management. What I often see with successful trophy hunters is they make exceptionally savvy observations about deer behavior that help them pattern and understand daylight deer movements better than the vast majority of other hunters, but they jump to completely erroneous conclusions as to biologically WHY deer are doing the things they observe them doing.

Having sound biological knowledge of deer can make you a more successful hunter, but on its own, that knowledge won't make you a successful trophy hunter. Other more specialized knowledge is required. In the same vein, knowledge of successful tactics for trophy bucks does not make one a biologist. The two types of knowledge are quite different.

bowriter

R.I.P.
Bill Winke hit it dead on and nothing else needs to be said. Of course, he just said what I have always said...me and BSK. :)

Just something to think about. If a successful hunter,one who has killed 50-bucks over 150" is asked to name the chambers of a deer's stomachs, how many do you think can? Conversely, most deer biologist can quickly name the four chambers. How many do you think can kill 50-bucks over 150"?

I can put gas in my truck but I can't win the Indy 500.

Oh...Rumen, reticlum, omasum and abomasum.

catman529

bowriter said:
Bill Winke hit it dead on and nothing else needs to be said. Of course, he just said what I have always said...me and BSK. :)

Just something to think about. If a successful hunter,one who has killed 50-bucks over 150" is asked to name the chambers of a deer's stomachs, how many do you think can? Conversely, most deer biologist can quickly name the four chambers. How many do you think can kill 50-bucks over 150"?

I can put gas in my truck but I can't win the Indy 500.

Oh...Rumen, reticlum, omasum and abomasum.
which of the four chambers contains the green privet pesto like when I accidentally cut into a does stomach last October? Stuff was nasty

bowriter

R.I.P.
Catman, in all likely hood, that would be the abomasum. That is where pepsin is produced and that is probably what you are talking about. However, mostly digested green browse could be found in any from number one, the rumen on back and might look the same. You can find out by tasting it. The pepsin is slightly bitter and slithly acidic tasting. The green bwose should not be bitter.

catman529

bowriter said:
Catman, in all likely hood, that would be the abomasum. That is where pepsin is produced and that is probably what you are talking about. However, mostly digested green browse could be found in any from number one, the rumen on back and might look the same. You can find out by tasting it. The pepsin is slightly bitter and slithly acidic tasting. The green bwose should not be bitter.
OK, I will bring a McDonalds straw in the woods with me for test tasting. Does the frost affect the flavor? What if the deer has been browsing on poison ivy?

Killing big bucks on free ranging land where these mature deer act like...MATURE deer (namely are no hunted lightly but rather are hunted hard and KNOW they are being hunted, does NOT take a deer biologist.

It takes someone who is capable of killing mature deer becuase they have LEARNED how.

I have yet to meet ANY CONSISTENTLY successful mature deer hunter who does not know at least a little something about deer behavior. But most are certainly NOT deer biologist.

Also, I have never met a deer biologist who was good at consistently killing mature pressured deer.

BSK

102 said:
Also, I have never met a deer biologist who was good at consistently killing mature pressured deer.

I have, but their ability to kill mature bucks from pressured land had little to do with their biological knowledge and everything to do with dedicating years and years to learning how to do so.

BSK

102 said:
I have yet to meet ANY CONSISTENTLY successful mature deer hunter who does not know at least a little something about deer behavior.

I agree. But knowing something about deer behavior doesn't imply knowing why or for what biological reason deer are displaying that behavior (i.e. what that behavior means biologically).

bowriter

R.I.P.
Having a biological knowledge of deer is, without a doubt, an aid in consistently killing bucks of any age. I have on several occasions killed mature bucks that I may have never killed had I not had some biological (educational) knowledge of what they were most apt to do in certain situations. Most often as it related to a food source.

Consistently killing mature bucks involves not only knowledge but time and opportunity. Knowledge not only of the animal but of the terrain and food sources. However, the overriding factor in consistently killing mature bucks on any land, private or public is luck.

Consistently killing mature bucks involves not only knowledge but time and opportunity. Knowledge not only of the animal but of the terrain and food sources. However, the overriding factor in consistently killing mature bucks on any land, private or public is luck.

EXACTLY!

bowriter

R.I.P.
jlmustain said:
I didn't take it personally. I'm just trying to figure out the issue. So is his reliance and usage of the solunar calendar is your beef?

You see, it is an ongoing thing. His reliance on a "theory" that has been proven to be totally false is the thing. IOW-the moon has nothing to do with the rut. However, he keeps trying to sell a product and a "schedule" based on the totally false information. That is the beef that BSK, myself and others have with this.

It is no big deal but he is trying to pass himself off as an expert and a biologist when in fact, he is neither.

jlmustain

I've enjoyed his site. I don't know about the biology of it all, but I can appreciate what I read from folks who do know deer biology, especially if it relates to helping put meat in my freezer. Knowing stomach chambers isn't as big a deal to me as making sure I don't puncture it.

BSK, do you have a 'site/blog with articles about the biology of deer and how it relates to hunting them?

As for the moon, I don't yet see a correlation between it and deer movement, intrinsically. Practically, though, I do pay attention to it, especially in December if fuller moons occur on clear nights. I do see a correlation there in that they all seem to put up shop by shooting hours on pressured land since they can accomplish what they need to by the moon's light.

I can see where it would frustrate a deer biologist to read unproven or false claims by non-biologists who claim to be.

As for the rut, I've only paid attention to what chases does, and since the moon's never done that, I don't pay it much mind.

MattR

BSK said:
jlmustain said:
Do you think any of his info' has to do with locale?

I'm not saying what's he's written is correct, but it's not like he doesn't have any deer on the wall.

I'm not saying successful trophy hunters don't know anything about deer. What I'm saying is the knowledge required to be a successful trophy hunter is VERY different than what is required to understand deer herd biology and management. What I often see with successful trophy hunters is they make exceptionally savvy observations about deer behavior that help them pattern and understand daylight deer movements better than the vast majority of other hunters, but they jump to completely erroneous conclusions as to biologically WHY deer are doing the things they observe them doing.

Having sound biological knowledge of deer can make you a more successful hunter, but on its own, that knowledge won't make you a successful trophy hunter. Other more specialized knowledge is required. In the same vein, knowledge of successful tactics for trophy bucks does not make one a biologist. The two types of knowledge are quite different.

So, basically, they are great at knowing how, and maybe when deer do something, as opposed to a biologist knowing why they do it. I would rather know why.

Latest posts