BSK- Boot camps?

String Music

When are you going to open your land tours and seminars? I'm dying to go to Dr. Woods or Neil Dougherty's property but they are just too far away. Yours would be perfect and you could make some good money!

BSK

I would need to get my property to a slightly more advanced stage of management. That will take about 2-4 more years. I would need to have advanced stages of growth for each type of habitat that I recommend.

BSK

BowGuy84 said:
What would those habitats be on your property? What would your ideal property be?

A mixture of as many different habitat types as can be created in ridge-and-hollow terrain, and in all different ages/stages of growth.

I want young timber cut areas to display food production. I want later hardwood regrowth to display sapling-jungle cover. I want young and middle-aged pine stands to display that type of cover. I would love to have some areas that are being burned for NWSG development. I would like my food plots to be in better shape (which I'm working on).

WMAn

BSK said:
I would love to have some areas that are being burned for NWSG development.

BSK,

One of the areas I hunt has a lot of NWSG. How do you see deer using these areas during the hunting season, when the grasses are dormant?

Also, the NWSG on this area vary from entire fields, ag field edge buffer strips, and erosion control projects adjacent to a major drainage (typically 2-5 acres between ag field and waterway). How will the deer use these different areas?

Interested to hear your thoughts or the experience of others who have NWSG.

BSK

During hunting season the two major uses of NWSG that I'm seeing are 1) daylight security cover, especially on colder days. Deer can lay in the tall grasses and remain hidden, but can still be exposed to the warming rays of the sun; 2) as transition/staging cover before entering open feeding areas. More and more I'm using NWSG as a transition from timber to open feeding areas (ag fields or food plots). When these transitions exist, instead of deer holding up and staging deep in the timber before venturing to feed in the open areas after dark, deer are moving to the NWSG buffers to stage. They still might not enter the open field until after dark, but these tall-grass staging ares are very huntable. Deer may feel they are hidden in the tall-grasses as they wait until night-fall to venture into the field, but they are actually quite susceptible to hunting from an elevated position.

Now in summer, I really like the NWSG areas as good feeding areas (weeds) that also provide cover, as well as fawning areas. Some research suggest coyotes prefer not to hunt in tall-grass habitat. I do believe NWSG fawning areas will reduce coyote predation of fawns.

PickettSFHunter

8 POINTS OR BETTER said:
There was some talk on here a couple years ago about some of the QDMA guys on here touring each others farms, but I don't think it ever came about.
Yep. Thats what some of us need to do. Ill show folks around the place Ive done a decent bit of work on if anyone is coming through the area and wants to. Just PM me or whatever. Im not complete on habitat work with my place either. Havent gotten near as much done in the timber as I need to (TSI). Thats my main focus for this winter.

richmanbarbeque

8 POINTS OR BETTER said:
There was some talk on here a couple years ago about some of the QDMA guys on here touring each others farms, but I don't think it ever came about.

Yep, that was me. This year I will do it. Hopefully before turkey season. If I can pull some stuff together I would like to see if we can get a work shop started maybe once a year.

WMAn

richmanbarbeque said:
8 POINTS OR BETTER said:

Yep, that was me. This year I will do it. Hopefully before turkey season. If I can pull some stuff together I would like to see if we can get a work shop started maybe once a year.

It's a great idea, and I would certainly attend. I would also be willing to pay in order to help offset the cost of organizing such an event.

Jarred525

I am willing to host at my property if needed. Like everyone else, I still have lots of work to do and have many habitat improvements planned. I will be in the midst of logging the first part of the year to setup a couple of sanctuaries as well as a pine planting among other things.

Latest posts