BSK and burning

BSK

I recommend burning and have participated in burns, but I'm telling you what, in hill country it can be scary business. That said, burning is one of the most productive tools in the managers toolbox.

wildlifefarmer

Get trained and do it. It's free here in TN. I did mine in Bell Buckle, TN. Will try to do a burn or 2 this fall and prep some after deer season for several burns next spring. There are so many benefits and the most cost-effective land management tool
Being of the smokey bear era(old farts), the wife and myself when to Bell Buckle as well several years ago. It eased her mine about burning. We need to go back for a refresher course. We also try to burn a different area every year and have been doing this for the last 6 or 7 years with good results. The only problem we have is the manpower when weather conditions are right. There are cost share programs thru NCRS/TWRA which helps with costs.

JCDEERMAN

The only problem we have is the manpower when weather conditions are right. There are cost share programs thru NCRS/TWRA which helps with costs.
Same here. Hard to plan out a day or two ahead, and having that actual weather forecast coming to fruition. Myself and my cousin are usually readily available, but hill country typically requires at least 1 more person. The more the better

wildlifefarmer

Same here. Hard to plan out a day or two ahead, and having that actual weather forecast coming to fruition. Myself and my cousin are usually readily available, but hill country typically requires at least 1 more person. The more the better
Agreed!! 3 folks at least here but the 4th is much better, they can circle around on 4 wheeler to relay messages, hand out water etc. while everyone else have boots on the ground.

BSK

Agreed!! 3 folks at least here but the 4th is much better, they can circle around on 4 wheeler to relay messages, hand out water etc. while everyone else have boots on the ground.
I only wish we could drive an ATV around what we would like to burn, but FAR too steep for that. Some of the areas are so steep it requires crawling on your hands and knees to get up them. Burning in THAT environment is EXTREMELY tricky. I've burned in those environments, but it takes a lot of people and equipment, and you can expect the fire to jump the lines several times, which can be a hair-raising experience.

One of my clients has hired the state forestry people to do burns and it was quite cost effective. They were charged by the acre burned, but the cost wasn't that high, and the state brought in all their own heavy equipment (bulldozers, etc.).

wildlifefarmer

One of my clients has hired the state forestry people to do burns and it was quite cost effective. They were charged by the acre burned, but the cost wasn't that high, and the state brought in all their own heavy equipment (bulldozers, etc.).
We have used the state guys multiple times . The only problem with them, they have a lot of requests for burns and little time per the weather to burn. They've got a good bunch of people to work with and they do a great job. I just wished that their higher ups would let them burn when conditions are right than all the pre paperwork and approvals.

BSK

We have used the state guys multiple times . The only problem with them, they have a lot of requests for burns and little time per the weather to burn.
I have definitely heard this complaint before. Too many requests for service and not enough good burn weather.

@fulldraw

We have used the state guys multiple times . The only problem with them, they have a lot of requests for burns and little time per the weather to burn. They've got a good bunch of people to work with and they do a great job. I just wished that their higher ups would let them burn when conditions are right than all the pre paperwork and approvals.
It's not about paperwork and approvals. It's about public safety. You have to remember that when it's right for prescribed fire, it's right for wildfires. TDF doesn't have enough resources to do both. If they are dispatched to a wildfire while on a Rx burn then the priority goes to the widlfire. The Rx burn will be extinguished.

swd

A good friend of mine has explored that option. I think he's looking at $40/acre for the fee.

Latest posts