BSK and others drought effects

SOUTHERN CROSS

It probably has been asked, but what does this long of a drought do the the quality of health, antler growth, and hunting for the season? My opinion is that the first two may suffer but the hunting may be better due the fact that water is becoming so scarce and the deer will seek it out. Second the same with food sources. They are so poor that the deer will roam more than usual to fill their bellies. Would having a feeder in your area help keep deer around? I have hunted for quite awhile and this is my opinion, what you say?

Boone 58

It may just be coincidence but i was watching a field of 36 deer assorted does, bucks and quite a few fawns this evening in lawrence county tennessee and i was taken back by the scrawny racks. All were bucks that would not meet our management criteria except maybe one. it seems i am seeing alot of smaller basket racked deer......
Maybe coincidence but even on my game cameras i am seeing the same thing about 30 miles away in wayne county. Time will tell.

bigorangmd

I think the main effect seen now is the increase in HD. During the season the loss of the mast crop may increase deer sightings but that was from the earlier freeze and not the drought. The biggest effect will likely be seen if we have a cold winter the lack of increase in body mass will be felt. All this said I think the population is sufficient that we will not notice a difference in Harvest numbers.

BSK

The drought occurred too late to affect antler growth much. I haven't seen what I would consider a decline.

Now the drought is definitely stressing the deer and increasing the severity of the HD outbreak. The late freeze destroyed the mast crop, and the drought has reduced the amount of normal winter foods that will be avaiable. The drought is also keeping hunters from planting plots. Yes, the deer will move a lot to find food this fall, making the hunting better, but we will pay for all this next year with very poor health in spring, poor antler development and low fawn production.

Anderson

I have seen pretty good research years ago on rainfall and antler size in dry areas of the country...Texas whitetails and I believe mule deer in the mountain states somewhere. Makes sense.

Rain makes plants grow. The more plants that grow, the more selective the deer can be with what and how they eat. That will affect health, growth, etc. Especially in areas with a lot of deer, there is a price to pay if food plant growth is less. My biggest concern for the deer down south (weather is not so bad up here in PA) would be the long term impact on the fawn crop this year.

BSK's comments are on target, as usual.

Chris Tripp

I agree Anderson, but I don't think it will be this year that we see the effects of poor health in rack development, that should come with the next spring/summer.

BSK

Anderson said:
I have seen pretty good research years ago on rainfall and antler size in dry areas of the country...Texas whitetails and I believe mule deer in the mountain states somewhere. Makes sense.

There is a direct link between SPRING rainfall rates in TX and the number of B&C bucks killed the following fall. Luckily, the drought in TN hit too late to affect antler development this year, but the combination of the drought and the late spring freeze will reduce antler development next year (because food resources this winter will be so poor).

wcsd462

I agree with BSK,I work third shift and ride around in rural area's all nite,I have scene a lot of good bucks all over the county this summer so far. Next year will tell the tail. What I worry about is what will happen if we have a repeat of this spring and summer?

Latest posts