Broken Main Beam?

TN hunter

I have started getting some pics of this buck recently and was surprised when I saw what appeared to be most of the right beam missing. Unfortunately I don't have the best angles to view, but, in ya'll's opinion does it look like the beam has been broken or an abnormal beam? Look forward to hearing your opinions.

e46dc33b6259bff5129f243e0e9ff35c.jpg
57623240a6972a1569f19584694014e6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andy S.

Hard to be certain from those two pics, but with the 12" brow on that side, I would guess abnormal. Super mature buck, good luck with him this fall if you pursue him.

megalomaniac

Hard to say if he injured that side early after the beam was growing, or if it is a growth abnormality. Mature deer for sure

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

tree_ghost

Andy S.":4l8lsf80 said:
Hard to be certain from those two pics, but with the 12" brow on that side, I would guess abnormal. Super mature buck, good luck with him this fall if you pursue him.

I'm leaning the same way Andy is on this one. What a beast tho!!!

fairchaser

With that dark section on his right beam, I would go with some kind of injury to the beam early in development. Looks like the growth went into the brow tine after the injury occurred. If you see any kind of injury to his body on the left side, then that could cause an abnormal right beam. If he makes it another season, he will be a true giant.

TheLBLman

fairchaser":9xjyqvo3 said:
With that dark section on his right beam, I would go with some kind of injury to the beam early in development. Looks like the growth went into the brow tine after the injury occurred.
Agree, that seems the most probable explanation.

fairchaser":9xjyqvo3 said:
If he makes it another season, he will be a true giant.
I suspect his antlers are as big as they'll ever be,
other than he might have both sides next year.

Also, if he's as old as he looks,
his antlers may be going downhill, possibly less to them next year.

TN hunter

Thank you all for your thoughts. I definitely agree that he is a mature deer. Hopefully you will get more pics of him. Hopefully I will be able to get a better look at him. It will help me decide as to whether or not to shoot.

Latest posts