Breakfast sausge

Forvols

Made a batch of 5 ingredient breakfast sausage: Pork butt, salt, black pepper, ground sage, red pepper flakes. 1 grind with a medium plate. Very tastey

Attachments

• ground pork.jpg
    ground pork.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 11
  • seasoned.jpg
    seasoned.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 13
  • mixed.jpg
    mixed.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 11
  • packaged.jpg
    packaged.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 11

mike243

Looks great. Well need a weight per lbs please, going to mix a batch of hot up. like to cut down on the amount of test patty's I need to try lol, going to cold smoke them if I can get a 35 degree day soon.

Forvols

recipe:
6 oz of salt
1.75 oz black pepper
1 oz ground sage
Put seasoning in a pint mason jar with lid...shake it up.

Measure out in cup, bowl or different mason jar.
.75oz seasoning per pound of ground pork.
Add 1 tsp of red pepper flakes per pound of pork
Add 1oz of water per pound of pork.
Stir/shake seasoning together and poor over ground pork

Mix by hand until seasoning is well distributed.

I always do 1 lb and a test fry patty first. But this batch I found the .75oz and red pepper flakes to be pretty tastey.

No frills good country sausage. Play with it too, up sage, pepper add brown sugar whatever..but I wouldnt add any more salt.
Salt wise I think this is about 1.5-1.75% salt, most commerical is 1.75-2.2%

mike243

Love my vac packer, I flatten out and it stores easier in the freezer. Also defrosts faster and can be cut while semi frozen to make life easier lol

Gav-n-Tn

We're still hunting for the right seasoning mix. Trying to replicate Odom's Tennessee Pride mild. Would rather not purchase a commercial mix.

Snowwolfe

This is the recipe I been using for years, tweaking it along the way. Everyone who has tasted it loves it. The maple syrup is not overpowering as you can barely detect it. Add more red pepper or cayenne if you like but this already has a mild bite to it.
I add the spice's and mix in with the pork chunks. Grind the meat once with the coarse (1/4 inch) blade, place meat back in the freezer then grind again using a finer plate. I been using a 1/8 inch plate for second grind but just ordered a 3/16 for a slightly coarser finish.
Enjoy

Attachments

• IMG_2068.jpeg
    IMG_2068.jpeg
    195.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
Looks great. Well need a weight per lbs please, going to mix a batch of hot up. like to cut down on the amount of test patty's I need to try lol, going to cold smoke them if I can get a 35 degree day soon.
I did 25 lbs very similarly 1 month ago wrapped it in cheese cloth, 1 lb rolls and cold smoked with hickory and apple wood. Vacuum sealed and froze. Plan to start cutting it open this weekend.
Made a batch of mild, one hot, one cajun and one extra sage.
IMG_5663.jpeg

IMG_5665.jpeg

TAFKAP

Salt shouldn't exceed 2% of the meat weight. For seasonings, I personally go with 1 tbsp dry per lb of meat. A teaspoon or two red pepper flakes should be ample for 5 lbs. of meat.

Latest posts