Food Plots Bracing Persimmon Tree

TNlandowner

I am looking for a solution for a wonderful persimmon tree that has grown diagonally over a food plot. This persimmon tree pours fruit out every year and is a deer hot spot as soon as the American Plum trees stop dropping fruit. (Maybe late September - early October).

This tree will eventually pull the roots out of the ground. I cut overshadowing trees and the tree seems to be sprouting new vertical limbs toward the sunlight. I would like to brace the tree, providing support in an effort to keep it from falling. Maybe I can train one of the vertical limbs to become the dominate stem, which would help with problem, but would take a lot of time.

I was thinking about forming an "X" with 4"x4" posts. I would place the posts under the persimmon tree and add a cross board above for strength and to prevent the legs from opening.

Thoughts? Has anyone else built a tree brace to save a leaning tree?

JCDEERMAN

I am not sure. You don't want the tree to rub the posts or anything over time blowing in the wind. I had a similar situation with an apple tree last year. It was young and it leaned really bad. There was an adjacent tree about 10' from it and this apple tree leaned directly away from it. I tied a piece of rope around the upper portion of the apple tree and pulled it tight and tied it off on the beforementioned adjacent tree. About once a month, I would pull and tighten that rope.....almost if I was slowly training the roots and hoping the roots and tree would correct itself slowly over the growing season. Seemed to help it become more vertical. Will be doing the same once spring green up arrives. You may try calling some tree nurseries for advice.

Latest posts