Boy Got His First Turkey.........

Grizzly Johnson

My step-son Addison got his first turkey, on his second youth hunt, this morning.....

Went to AEDC WMA to an area I deer hunt in.... always hear turkeys in there.

We slipped in around daylight and I let out a couple of owl hoots, the tom cut me off with a gobble. We eased over toward his location. It was good light and I felt we were close enough. A couple of owls had flown in and were hooting and the tom gobbled again and I knew for sure were were plenty close. We sat down against a large pine tree. Brush in front of us was blocking a shot towards the right side. We got up and moved to a tree on our left that offered a better view. I was praying the bird hadn't seen us moving around. I gave him a few soft tree yelps and he answered. I then gave him a couple of yelps and he answered back...... In a few seconds he was sailing towards us and landed about 50 yards in front of us. I told Addison to get ready the tom was coming and all we had to do was make sure he had a beard. It was still kinda dark in the shadows but when he spit-n-drummed I could see he had a nice beard. At 32 paces the turkey stretched his neck up looking for his hen and I gave him the go to shoot. My heart was pounding and I was hoping he wouldn't miss..... At 6:30 he was flopping in the pine needles..... High fives, hug, and some big smiles made it a hunt to remember.....

22 lbs, 9" beard, 1 1/8" spurs : Rem 870sm, Win. Sup. HV #5's and Kick's GT .665

IMG_1290.jpg

IMG_1291.jpg

IMG_1292.jpg

IMG_1288.jpg

Latest posts