Bow hunting in the rain

Weegee

I have a recurve, so this may be a little different for me than the compound bow hunters: But in any case, what are your tips for hunting in the rain?

tree_ghost

I have a recurve, so this may be a little different for me than the compound bow hunters: But in any case, what are your tips for hunting in the rain?
Bring a rain jacket! Other than that I don't do anything different when recurve hunting vs compound. Just dry out your bow well when you get home.

TnKen

2-Step Enabled
I used the spray on shoe waterproofing on my feathers back in the day. The biggest thing is blood trailing when the sign is washed away. If I know it is a good hit, I may start tracking after a few minutes. The risk of pushing a deer vs losing all blood sign due to the rain is a game time decision.

Weegee

These are some great points and exactly what I was looking for. I was mainly concerned about shooting with a wet string and wet feather fletching. Short of spraying my bow down with a hose I wouldn't be able to replicate those conditions to see what kind of difference it would make.

Grill-n-man

If you can keep the bow and string as dry as possible. If you have a backup string broke in change the string at the end of the day and let the other dry. Old school hair spray will last about 4-5 hours on your feathers. When done un string bow and let it dry with no weight on the limbs

BigRed1080

Well I almost always enjoy hunting in a light to medium rain because it lets me walk in the woods and be quiet vs loud crunching leaves. I do concur with what others have said about blood trailing, but typically I hear the fall and have a general idea of where they laid down.

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
Light rain/mist, I'll hunt it from a ground or box blind. Anything heavier I stay home during bow only season. And I'll cover my bow with one of those plastic poncho's that you can buy for $1 or so at walmart to keep everything dry walking in/out.

Madbowh

I won't bow hunt in the rain at all, I do muzzle and gun. Got one in the pouring rain last year at about 10. Blood was starting to wash away he went 40 yards and it took me almost an hour to find him and started looking right away he ran half circle around me I seen was good hit. I've got a tree stand umbrella

Latest posts