Boudin Round 2

TX300mag

Second batch of boudin this year. Not thrilled with last recipe from scratch, trying a seasoning blend this time.

10 lbs jowls
10 lbs deer trimming
3 lbs deer liver
3 lbs gizzards
1.5 lbs beef heart
8 deer kidneys
Oh yeah, my daughter killed a rabbit while I was getting it together and brought me heart, liver, and kidneys

Barely fit in stock pot. Lots of onions and garlic thrown in with a little pink salt and some seasoning. We'll see how it turns out.

989026613e4c2560cfc53ec08be75cf7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TX300mag

This batch turned out much better. I let it sit overnight and will see if I need to ad a little more "broth" to it before I stuff it. I'm hoping the flavors mingled a little more overnight, too.

I think I'll continue to raise the liver content. The deer liver is very mild in comparison to pork and it's still not to the point of noticeable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buzzard Breath

TX300mag":2pbf3ic8 said:
......my daughter killed a rabbit while I was getting it together and brought me heart, liver, and kidneys.....

We need to hear more about this rabbit killin. Was she hunting, or does she raise rabbits? I think it's awesome that she thought her dad would be able to find a good use for these organs.

Isn't it typical for rice to be in boudin?

TX300mag

We haven't raised any rabbits in the last few years, now that they're older I REALLY need to get back into breeding them. She killed this was one hunting behind the house. The first good warm-up they seem to really perk up and move around a lot during the day. I'll let them kill them until it really greens up.

Funny you mentioned the rice. I cooked 12 cups (4 dry) in the broth from the meat and mixed it in with the bulk of it. I'll eat it as an occasional treat, but the wife and kids will eat it pretty quickly. That's the main way she gets her liver intake.

Since I have to eat very little starch, I've been trying to come up with a method that's acceptable without rice. There's a popular southern Louisiana vendor that makes it using cauliflower, but he said it took two or three months to figure it out. A friend of mine told me about eating boudin made with pork rinds at a restaurant in Asheville (The Junction). I took three bags and ran them through the grinder. I reconstituted it with broth and mixed it in with the meat/vegetables. Initial impression was acceptable. The texture and flavor are similar. After sitting overnight and then stuffing, I'll see how it tastes when I pull a link out and cook it in the next couple of days.

Buzzard Breath

TX300mag":uiu7wrs8 said:
I made them turn a possum loose that they trapped this morning. Even I have to draw the line somewhere. :D
I'd have to be on the verge of starving to death just to skin one of those things. I watched one crawl out of the rear end of a dead deer I once found.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Latest posts