Boone Lake

jwb

How are those Florida strain bass doing? How long before they get big?
They seem to be thriving. Just getting to keeper size. Had a couple 50+ fish days there this year. Boone might turn into a hot spot once they get full grown. I hear they are catching a bunch of trophy size trout out there now also. It's a different kinda place after the down for the dam and stocking the new bass.

WTM

be surprised if forida strain or f1 hybrids grow very big that far north. a good way above the 3400 line. but there is an exceptional lake somewhere in virginia that appears to be doing well.

killingtime 41

Usually seagulls on every lake in Tn that I've been to. Boone use to be full of brown trout. The kind that flow out of septic tanks for years. Unless you either didn't live here or aren't old enough to remember.

J.A.F.O.

The trout are in the tailwaters of the dam. Just like South Holston and Watauga but there isn't any substantial section of river below Boone as it's almost immediately Fort Patrick Henry lake.

J.A.F.O.

There are much bigger ones than that.
I've personally caught them that size around Jays at night. We threw nets and got big ole gizzard shad under the dock lights. Then go out off a point and put em about 30-60 down and hold on. Wouldn't take long and they go straight down. Make sure you use braided line as if you are close to the dock tire bouy they will drag you into the wires that anchor them.
Heard the bigger ones eat the trout that come too far down the Watauga. 😳
Big ones up there and the water is real cold.

Kevin Snook

By big, do you mean over 25 pounds?
I fished Boone since the early 80s-back then primarily for stripers and hybrids

It was one of the best lakes in the country for big fish

My favorite technique was fishing Red-Fins at night through mid march to early June

60 fish nights were common-all on top water

30s were common-40s were caught often and I witnessed a 50+ caught below the dam

Hybrid in the 15-18 pound class were common also

God has blessed me for sure-if I never catch another fish, I've already caught more than my share

Good memories

Latest posts