Bobcat or coyote pelt

tug

I have considered killing a choice coyote or bobcat but want to have already selected a taxidermist to make the pelt for me. Not a mount, just the pelt.

Any suggestions on who is good at this? I am near Lebanon.

Mb423

I reached out to a reputable one around Chattanooga for this same question. He no longer does them and couldn't point me to someone who did. I am also trying to find a semi local one.

Any idea what these generally run?

wildlifefarmer

Skinning a cat isn't difficult to do. A yote is another story!! The hardest part with a cat are the eyes and lips. If you leave the claws be prepared for a lot of time!! After skinning you will need to stretch and cure the hide before you send off to a tanner or you could try it yourself. Most that you can buy are clawless when tanned. From what I've seen from trapper supply places tanned hides run approximately $125 per.

There isn't anything like harvesting your own to display. Or even better IMO is a nice garment for yourself. Good luck and happy hunting!!

Attachments

• 2870A1F2-4D68-4F37-B088-23E65832F4E9.jpeg
    2870A1F2-4D68-4F37-B088-23E65832F4E9.jpeg
    111 KB · Views: 128
  • D5F12D71-B006-4104-8FE5-E868114F7AEF.jpeg
    D5F12D71-B006-4104-8FE5-E868114F7AEF.jpeg
    107.5 KB · Views: 136

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I had a "trappers mount" done on one a few years ago.
Seems like I asked him what the going rate was last year and it was upwards of $400 :eek:
I would bet the price for getting the pelt done would be about the same price.

I don't think many people like messing with them.

coyoteskin.jpg

wildlifefarmer

I had a "trappers mount" done on one a few years ago.
Seems like I asked him what the going rate was last year and it was upwards of $400 :eek:
I would bet the price for getting the pelt done would be about the same price.

I don't think many people like messing with them.

View attachment 122176
If you do the skinning and curing yourself, the cost to have the hide tanned is less than $40. However, a yote's lower legs and leaving the pads and claws are very hard and time consuming for me to do. I refuse to leave them on anything. That's why the cost is there to get it done!!

By the way, that's a fine looking yote! DEAD and on the wall!!

Shanman

Here's a link to give you guys something to look at, as Farm Manager mentioned there are others.

Use to be able to view their catalog online but looks like you can't anymore, have to download it or request a hard copy. Had one friend that sent in 10 beaver pelts and one red fox, they made a stroller for his wife out of those pelts, finished product was absolutely gorgeous. The more hides you sent in together helped to lower the price per hide for tanning.

Latest posts