Bleat Cans.....

Jmoore

I'd like to get everybody's opinion on bleat cans if they actually work or not. I have mixed feelings on them.

backyardtndeer

Mixed responses here. Have watched deer pay absolutely no attention to can calls, but then have also used can calls in calling sequences and had decent bucks come in looking. Think if you hit the timing just right they might work.

timberjack86

They work, not Everytime but enough to use them. Make sure they can't approach from down wind. Once they hear a deer they want to smell the deer most of the time. If you can put a bluff on your downwind side your in the best calling position imo

UTGrad

I stopped a buck trailing a doe with the Primos can call one time. He turned around and came to my stand on a string. I stuck him and got the harvest so yes they work.

Personally I have the most success rattling. Grunt tubes and can calls are good if you see deer and want them to turn around. Rattling works in the right conditions to bring in a buck you don't see. Rattling is loud and the sound carries much further.

Skinnyindian

My son used a primos BIG CAN this afternoon, to bring this one to him.

Attachments

• AC4CCFF8-7083-4F5E-8B60-E1E55E8F6F30.jpeg
    AC4CCFF8-7083-4F5E-8B60-E1E55E8F6F30.jpeg
    381.2 KB · Views: 90

Chief44

I've had success with them but the only time I use one is after I have seen or heard a buck that is not in range. I've called a few in like this but have also had bucks that seem to be a little spooked by it so I only use it when I know a buck is around and he's not gonna present me with a shot.

TNDeerJP

I always take a bleat can, rattling sticks, and a grunt tube or two with me because 1) it costs nothing to take them because they are so light and 2) they often work though certainly not every time. Called a doe back out of some thick cover with the bleat can once and got enough ribs exposed to arrow her. Have many times gotten bucks to stop and then approach me with grunt tubes, especially during the rut. I called a young buck in over 200 years (the length of the field) on two consecutive days years ago and decided he was so stupid that someone was going to take it him anyway and it might as well be me since I hadn't "tested" a new Savage 10 ML smokeless muzzleloader on anything at the time. One shot at 50 years put him down for the count. If I am not seeing any deer I will try bleat cans, grunt tubes and rattling antlers a little to see if anything shows up, but I think its them just getting curious more than anything.

Antler Daddy

We have had some success on early juvenile hunts.

If I recall, the Ohio Beatty buck was killed using one and the TN Samples buck while goofing off on cell phone. There are others.

I've also called in more than one coyote. One came on a dead run...scared both of us.

THEdonkey0515

My favorite call, had multiple small bucks come running in to the can.

I had a stud at LBL come creeping in3 years ago just a few moments after using the can.

Jmoore

Well after 25yrs of hunting I have only turned a 9pt around that was by himself. I decided to try it on a spike the other day that was 70 yards out and he never looked up. I guess my mixed feelings is that if deer are not relatively close they won't work and if they are that close there's no need for 1 lol. I've got the big can also just so it's a lil louder. I guess after 25yrs I would have more success stories. But I will still carry it along with my grunt call. 😜