Black Powder Measurer

FULLDRAWXX75

The last I knew, bp was measured by volume, smokeless by weight........not the same in my opinion, unless you can figure out the conversion from one to the other and adjust the setting on the powder measurer accordingly.

FDXX75

Chaneylake

FULLDRAWXX75 said:
The last I knew, bp was measured by volume, smokeless by weight........not the same in my opinion, unless you can figure out the conversion from one to the other and adjust the setting on the powder measurer accordingly.

FDXX75

sorry I was not clear enough, I was mainly refering to "safety issues", some seem/request that black powder be measured through a measurer that is "made with brass and aluminum", going on memory I think they are saying it is a static electricity issue

yes, black powder is by volume and the case has to be full

FULLDRAWXX75

Ok Sir,

I found this posted on the Ruger forum:

Anyone have any new factual information on this subject?
Thx, RG

Loading Black Powder with a conventional loader……….

In August of 1972, the American Rifleman printed this response to a question from a reader:
--- Is it safe practice to meter blackpowder through conventional handloader's powder measures which often have plastic reservoirs as well as ferrous housings and drums?---
ANSWER: Your query was referred to E. I. du Pont de Nemours & Co., Wilmington, Del., a leading U.S. manufacturer of explosives and one that has had many years of experience in the manufacture and handling of blackpowder. The following are direct quotes from their very informative reply to the American Rifleman:

“Plastic and ferrous metal parts on handloading equipment should not pose any significant problem provided the same safety precautions considered reasonable for the handling of any propellant are observed.
"Although blackpowder can be ignited by static electricity, the static charges accumulated when blackpowder is poured in or out of plastic containers of the sizes used in handloading probably are of insufficient magnitude to cause ignition."Blackpowder is not sensitive to impact in the sense that initiating compounds are sensitive to shock. Ignition will occur, however, when friction-impact energies are sufficient to produce sparks having temperatures of about 300C (572F) or higher. Although non-ferrous materials such as aluminum, copper, and copper-base alloys are less likely to spark than iron or steel, the differences are only in degree. Even wood can be made to fire when subjected to sufficient energy in the form of friction. It should be realized that care must be exercised.
"From a practical standpoint, if proper safety precautions are observed, the hazard from some ferrous metal parts on handloading equipment, being operated with reasonable care on a loading bench, should be no greater than that introduced by the lock and barrel of a muzzleloader being used in the field. "Steel kegs, containing polyethlene plastic bag liners, have been used for years as shipping containers for 25-pound packages of blackpowder."

To me, it says that the static charge or friction energy necessary to ignite blackpowder is extremely unlikely to be generated during any normal handloading operation using commonly available equipment.

I hope it helps

FDXX75

Latest posts