Bizarre ending to baseball game

PalsPal

Ump clearly signaled safe when the catcher looked back at him.

But, I have never heard an explanation that makes any sense as to why this rule exists. My oldest daughter was a very good fast pitch pitcher, and I HATED this rule. Why should a batter be rewarded for striking out?

MickThompson

Umpire has to call the pitch a strike before the runner can start to first- that what the celebration started on. Basically the entire infield besides the pitcher and catcher (the 2 that absolutely should've known this rule) knew it was a passed ball and still live. That stinks for the losing team but it's the rule. Even if they'd made the play at home or first, they game would've at least been tied and the out not count for dugout interference. Smart play by the batting team to keep going until the last out was called.

Where did the ball end up? That second run took forever to get home

cbhunter

Umpire has to call the pitch a strike before the runner can start to first- that what the celebration started on. Basically the entire infield besides the pitcher and catcher (the 2 that absolutely should've known this rule) knew it was a passed ball and still live. That stinks for the losing team but it's the rule. Even if they'd made the play at home or first, they game would've at least been tied and the out not count for dugout interference. Smart play by the batting team to keep going until the last out was called.

Where did the ball end up? That second run took forever to get home
In the catchers back pocket. Guess he was thinking "souvenir"

Latest posts