Bittersweet

bowhunterfanatic

4A15E2E4-F297-4B19-8160-293AA8E0A6CC.jpeg
67F05EF9-9703-4EB1-BD69-4563714207F0.jpeg

Turkey number one was a field bird in a group of 4 that I'd been seeing the last week or so. Me and a buddy started in the field I'd been seeing them in but they ended up being 500+ yards west of us. They didn't gobble much at all on the limb and none once they hit the ground so we left to try and find more. After a few hours of nothing we returned to see if they'd had made it to the field yet and they had. We devised a plan and cut out after them. We got about 125 yards from them and called to them one time and one of their two hens wasn't thrilled and took them straight away from us. There is a ditch that splits the field in half so we decided to get in it and see if we could get in front of them. I crossed the ditch first and crawled up the other side to get eyes back on them. They were about 80 yards at that point still going away from us. I motioned back to my buddy to come on and he proceeded to get tangled up in some brush trying to get down in the ditch and made a good bit of racket. I don't know if it was dumb luck or if the gobblers thought he was the hen they'd heard calling trying to cross the ditch to join them, but they turned and left the rest of the turkeys and marched up the ditch right to us. We somehow both managed to miss our first shot at maybe 15 yard but my follow up shot was true and turkey number one was down.

Number two wasn't much of a story. I just got lucky and he was roosted in a PERFECT spot. I was able to get 60-70 yards from him on the limb in a spot where if he flew straight down into the field I could kill him. He did just that and while I didn't instantly shoot him because he had a buddy with him and so did I, my buddy and I weren't ever able to get a clear shot at the same time so he finally told me to go ahead and shoot before all three gobblers got out of range. It was my first turkey with a .410 but it absolutely won't be my last.

Latest posts