Bittersweet longbeard

CritterGitter

Another beautiful cool and crisp morning. Found 2 birds gobbling on the roost early, They must have had hens because they flew down and shut up, an hour went by in silence. I eased out of there quietly and tried the other end of the property for a little while with no luck, on the way back to the truck I heard one of those 2 gobble on his own! I eased in, He was interested in everything I had to say! found a good spot ,did some soft calling as his gobbles got closer. A million Thoughts rushing through my head , ive seen this done a 100 times with my dad but i was alone today. (Last minute decision to go) I made a good move and sat behind a tree which saved me . Minutes went by and gobbles got closer . I shut up for a about 5 minutes , he free gobbles to my right , peeled my eyes to the right and I see a gobbler standing in strut 25 yards away . He stepped behind a tree and waited for what felt like eternity , woods dead quiet , I knew what my dad would do , ive seen him do it time and time again , so here we go... i reached down for my trumpet ,It was all I could do to make some decent sounding soft clucks with my hands trembling . he hammered at it and took a step into the open looking for me . Next thing i know the woods are quiet
20220410_084931.jpg
and hes laying there. Oh my gah , wheres my phone. Couldn't call him fast enough . I DID IT . My father taught me everything i know , hes a turkey killing machine and im blessed to call him dad . Was a special moment sitting against the tree admiring this beautiful bird .

PalsPal

Oh my gah , wheres my phone. Couldn't call him fast enough . I DID IT .

Dang man, don't do that. I thought your dad had passed away, and I was tearing up :) !

Great story, and congrats!

BTW, that story, typed out, below a picture of that bird in a nice frame would make a GREAT Father's Day present for your dad ;) !

PalsPal

My goodness what a fantastic hunt, and to be thought of in such a special way does have me tearing up. Derek and I have had dozens and dozens of awesome adventures together in the turkey woods and am thankful and blessed to have such a great son.

Hey, you need to act surprised if you do get that as a Father's Day gift :D !

Latest posts