Big Tom Down: Justin's 1st

Outdoor Lady

Justin has had a heck of a hunt this weekend. First, yesterday morning, him and DeerOps sat up, DeerOps called and the woods opened up. Two good birds were headed up from the creek when all of a sudden two dogs came out from the corner of the creek & woods - birds flew as fast as they had landed in.

Yesterday afternoon, we sat up. Called and a group of hens & one jake started coming toward the decoy set up. Justin took a shot at the jake, but didnt tag - shot low. Birds ran off and the flight began. So, we decided to go set up near the cane, had a good tom coming, but he got hung up on a flat spot across the creek.

Yesterday evening, DeerOps & Justin took out across the creek to let our side rest a little bit. They saw long beards but never got them in to shooting range. So back to the house they came, talking about Sunday mornings set up...

DeerOps & Justin got set up, called once and again the woods came alive. In just a minute two toms came up from the creek, in about 2 seconds they were running toward the decoy. Justin got ready - as soon as big tom got in range - he plowed the ol red/white/blue head to the ground. The turkey got up and tried running toward the creek, Justin put another shot toward him and took him to the ground for the final time!

31 lbs
9 1/4" beard
1 1/8" spurs

I havent gotten the pictures to photobucket yet, but as soon as I do - I will edit the post.

Setterman

Congrats to him on his first bird, that is awesome.

You sure about 31 lbs? The largest one on record with the NWTF, I think is only 29 lbs and some change. It is extremely rare to find a bird over 24 lbs, let alone 30 lbs+

Latest posts