Big Sandy

Creek

Personal find collection of Big Sandy types from a single site in middle TN. My wife and I collected these pieces throughout a span of around 5 years.
The largest top center piece is 4-1/2", the breakage is original, so I glued with B-72, as I found both pieces at separate times. Id say around 95 to 98 % of the entire frame has no, or very little modern damage. Weve been told by a few individuals, most of these are very early Archaic Big Sandy's, which does correlate with the other artifacts found on this site, ranging from mid-Archaic to mid-Paleo.
Actually it wasnt until I had them all laid out, took the picture and I later realized, what I believe to be, at least one piece that might not belong in this Big Sandy frame.... anyone see it ? Second row down, third from the left. Looks a little Greenbrier-ish to me.

Attachments

• 20210316_081658.jpg
    20210316_081658.jpg
    695.9 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:

Tennrock

Really like the Big Sandy type & I would agree on the Greenbrier looking one. You have 2 or 3 that look like a "E" or "double" notch.
The people that made this type did so over a long time span, huge area of the South-East and were thriving very well.
I most always find Paleo along with Kirks & Dovetails on Big Sandy sites so I think this type is older that most think.

Creek

You have 2 or 3 that look like a "E" or "double" notch.
My picture is not the clearest but yes we have found several examples of the E-notch. Its my understanding that E-notch is not very common.
My wife found our best example of one, but I dont have a picture of it on my phone or laptop and they are in the safe deposit.
Maybe I can remember to take some pictures and post them next time we get them out.

Grainger

Personal find collection of Big Sandy types from a single site in middle TN. My wife and I collected these pieces throughout a span of around 5 years.
The largest top center piece is 4-1/2", the breakage is original, so I glued with B-72, as I found both pieces at separate times. Id say around 95 to 98 % of the entire frame has no, or very little modern damage. Weve been told by a few individuals, most of these are very early Archaic Big Sandy's, which does correlate with the other artifacts found on this site, ranging from mid-Archaic to mid-Paleo.
Actually it wasnt until I had them all laid out, took the picture and I later realized, what I believe to be, at least one piece that might not belong in this Big Sandy frame.... anyone see it ? Second row down, third from the left. Looks a little Greenbrier-ish to me.
When you say "Greenbrier-ish", what do you mean--The type of stone used to manufacture the point, the manufacturing technique, the time period made..?

Creek

When you say "Greenbrier-ish", what do you mean--The type of stone used to manufacture the point, the manufacturing technique, the time period made..?
Im referring to a specific "type" - Im not sure about the material but probably Ft. Payne chert, as a very high percentage of artifacts from my area are made from it.
Big Sandy, Greenbrier, Lost Lake, are just a few names of many different "types".
Sometimes there are similarities between different types and it can be difficult to determine, but I should have noticed this one before I took the picture. I must not had my glasses on...Lol

Grainger

Im referring to a specific "type" - Im not sure about the material but probably Ft. Payne chert, as a very high percentage of artifacts from my area are made from it.
Big Sandy, Greenbrier, Lost Lake, are just a few names of many different "types".
Sometimes there are similarities between different types and it can be difficult to determine, but I should have noticed this one before I took the picture. I must not had my glasses on...Lol
Cool, Thanks!

Latest posts