Big (for me) catfish

TRIGGER

Caught this one on pickwick this weekend while I was bass fishing. 12 lb line.
0A59D6E3-0544-48F3-A80F-3E3A279B35CF.jpeg

Caught this one on Guntersville a couple of years ago. Again bass fishing but this one was on 10 lb line and a spinning rod.
9E57C4BF-0EB5-4AA3-819D-7A3C1FF2DCF2.jpeg

TRIGGER

I hooked one on a jig (Ky lake) once with a 7'10" heavy action rod and 20 lb line. He "fought" for a very brief time then just sat on the bottom. I couldn't budge him. Finally put so much pressure my line broke. I believe that was the biggest fish I have ever hooked into by far. Wish I could have seen it.

TRIGGER

I had a big channel crush a spinnerbait on the French broad one time. Thought I had a 10# smallmouth on until it started the catfish roll.
We catch them at night on spinnerbaits. They will even come to the surface and "jump" (I don't think they actually come all the way out of the water but they make a lot of noise) making them sound like a bass.

Atchman2

Cool. I actually tend to catch a lot of them on Burkley gulp 3 inch minnows while fishing for panfish... it is crazy - fun catching a 10 pound fish on ultralight gear.
What kind of panfish hits 3" gulp minnows? Crappie? I use an Ultralight with an overhead spinner and jighead with 1" minnows for bluegill. Fun, but doesn't work as consistently as worms. :D

Sako

What kind of panfish hits 3" gulp minnows? Crappie? I use an Ultralight with an overhead spinner and jighead with 1" minnows for bluegill. Fun, but doesn't work as consistently as worms. :D
crappie and large blue gill... I also end up with a mixed bag as I will generally end up with some bass mixed in as well... if you use a 1 or 2 inch gulp you will get a lot more bream but a lot of small ones

Latest posts