Big Fish Drought Broken

rsimms

I have admittedly been on a "Big Fish Drought" recently. While catching good numbers, the trophy cats have eluded my boat in recent weeks.

But Steve Proctor broke the drought Sunday!

Here's the video: https://youtu.be/EAId3xpcby4
[youtube]EAId3xpcby4[/youtube]

On top of that, he and Cynthia Khalife (from Denver, Colorado) put the smackdown on big numbers of quality fish. It was easily a 200-pound-plus [total weight], 4-hour venture ... probably much more than 200! And we left 'em biting. It's fishing so, of course, the bite varies day-to-day. On Friday, in the exact same spot, we caught about a fourth of Sunday's catch. It just shows you never know what mood the fish will be in one day to the next.

Hopefully Sunday's big fish is a sign of things to come. As Fall approaches, the big cat bite should do nothing but improve.

We were on Chickamauga Lake (obviously), vertical drift fishing 40-55 feet of water... with my favorite bait, chicken breast. I use 50 lb. braided line going to a 3-way rig (60 # hook leader to a 5/0 Team Catfish circle hook). Basically it's "drop-shotting" for catfish.

rsimms

Daniel n":3fpgrrrb said:
Chicken breast work better than chicken liver?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

As for catching, it works just as well. And it is FAR easier to handle... stays on the hook. Absolutely no waste, and even if you don't use it all, you can refreeze it and use it next time. Or just take it home and eat it. ;)

Daniel n

rsimms":2pjdh5sw said:
Daniel n":2pjdh5sw said:
Chicken breast work better than chicken liver?

As for catching, it works just as well. And it is FAR easier to handle... stays on the hook. Absolutely no waste, and even if you don't use it all, you can refreeze it and use it next time. Or just take it home and eat it. ;)
Ok. Thank you sir. We have just started trying to catfish some. We have only used chicken livers and have caught some fish it's just messy and wasteful. Thanks for the information.

rsimms

diamond hunter":zckyeq69 said:
Do you marinate your chicken breast?

No, use it straight out of package as-is.

A dozen of these today in about 2 hours.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    77.3 KB · Views: 927

Paul Burns

Richard I am enjoying these pictures and the fish. The background is what gets to me. I spent many a day at the dam as a hydro plant operator and in training to be one back in the 60's. Lots of memories there. :)

rsimms

Paul Burns":te45c2mm said:
Richard I am enjoying these pictures and the fish. The background is what gets to me. I spent many a day at the dam as a hydro plant operator and in training to be one back in the 60's. Lots of memories there. :)

I see some of the folks up there staring longingly at me most days. (Wishin' they were fishin')