Big Cats Were Hungry Today

rsimms

I had the pleasure of guiding Paul Ferris on the waters of Nickajack Lake today. Paul's very kind wife bought him a guide trip as a gift. Paul overslept some, but we managed to make it on the water to catch a few stripe and bass for the early morning bite. When that bite slowed and it was time to chase catfish, I asked Paul if he preferred to go for quantity or quality... and I explained that the "quality" fish have been tough to come by this year. He still opted for quality. It turned out he is a very wise man. :grin: On our first drift we doubled up. I hooked up first and then immediately I heard him holler. I thought he was hollering about my rod doubled over, but I turned only to see him doubled over as well. Mine was 16, his was 27.
Ferris_Paul1.jpg

Ferris_Paul2.jpg

Next drift he caught a 23-pounder.

Ferris_Paul5.jpg

In about four hours we put eight fish in the boat that weighed 136 lbs., a 17-pound average, and Paul had three TARP fish. It was the best quality bite I've had all year long. All on chicken breast in anywhere from 23 feet to 46 feet. As usual, structure mattered much more than depth. Paul wanted some to eat... we managed to squeeze the two smallest fish in his cooler. He said "My little boy is going to freak when he sees these, and he'll never believe these are the two 'little ones!" Which is yet another reason that life is good and gettin' better everyday.

Ferris_Paul3.jpg

Ferris_Paul4.jpg

gil1

Very cool, Mr. Simms.
You've been wearing these fish out and mostly tossing the big ones back. Do you think you are catching some of the same fish over again? I know I catch the same trout over and over, but I wonder about cats.

Kirk

gil1 said:
Very cool, Mr. Simms.
You've been wearing these fish out and mostly tossing the big ones back. Do you think you are catching some of the same fish over again? I know I catch the same trout over and over, but I wonder about cats.

Yep they line up like their at KFC. Th local Cats call it KFSimms.

tennoutdrsman

I finally tried the chicken breast friday night,at the pay lake fishing their tourney..not 1 fish..i dont think anyone caught a thing til 9:30,a nine pounder won the tourney,LOL! But i'm going to use the breast again on old hickory as soon as we get the boat running again....
Cool pics!

rsimms

gil1 said:
Very cool, Mr. Simms.

No, not really. We do occasionally catch cats that we can tell have been caught before of course. But there is no way to know who caught 'em? But fact is... there are simply a LOT of catfish in the Tennessee River. I call it a Catfish Factory.

Like every other form of fishing and hunting, there are great years, good years, and poor years for a variety of reasons. But even in the "poor years," it produces more catfish than some places do in their great years.