Big ask... Nebraska Pine Ridge

dpeek7

Had a great time, got on one or two gobbling birds every day on private, but that late in the season they knew the gig and would not cross the fence to public. Not many birds overall for sure.

Found 8 different kill sites where toms had been taken earlier in the year. Insane about of pressure, think I saw folks from at least 11 or 12 different states.

Pretty country, but not a place I would waste a week of valuable vacation time at again for sure. Think I did just under 80 miles hiking during the week. Heard 1 shot the entire week (and you can hear a LONG way out there), never met another hunter who was successful.

Rented a suburban and slept on an air mattress in the back. Folks aren't shy about parking behind you and walking in on you.
Hate to hear that. Me and some buddies are actually planning to try our luck in late May this year. Any tips on hunting those late season birds?

megalomaniac

Hate to hear that. Me and some buddies are actually planning to try our luck in late May this year. Any tips on hunting those late season birds?
I wouldn't be a good one to give advice, as I never figured it out. The spots I picked that looked good evidently were good early in the season, as many had kill sites.

It actually became a bit comical and I started taking pics of the kill sites as that was a close as I was going to get laying a hand on a bird.

These are 3 different kill sites, although 2 of them were actually probably predators finishing off toms that had likely been crippled. But most of the kill sites were body feathers that the shaft had been cut, not plucked (indicating shotgun)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230314_105757_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230314_105757_Gallery.jpg
    408 KB · Views: 45
  • Screenshot_20230314_105815_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230314_105815_Gallery.jpg
    512.6 KB · Views: 43

Latest posts