Nebraska proposals

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
I hunted around Chadron last spring, ALL day long for 3 days, lots of miles covered. Never heard a gobble, saw a couple hens, found a couple toms on private which I could never convince to cross the line to public. Now granted, it was the 4th week of the season, so they had already been hammered. In fact, I found 4 kill sites with cut (not plucked) body feathers... so there 'used' to be toms in the areas I hunted. Dont think ive found but 3 hunter kill sites in my other 30+ years of turkey hunting. Was so bad, I bailed and headed to the Black Hills and spent the last 4 days hunting there. Not a lot more birds, but at least I was on gobbling birds every day there (but again, all on private)

As far as the limit reductions... it's all just a 'who knows' experiment to save a dying species. I don't think it will help one bit. Turkeys are screwed.
I think turkeys will come, maybe just wishful thinking on my part though I guess, but they will HAVE to have the help from game and fish departments lowering limits and shortening seasons. Way way to many people taking more than the resource can stand, with whatever legal means possible, without considering anything but getting their limit. Way too many guys (including here) denying that there is much if any decline because "their" areas are just fine. After 6-8 years of massively fewer birds in my area, we have a lot of poults all over the place. Still nowhere near what it was before the decline, but very very promising. We did have great weather, but one other thing I noticed was that none of the leases around me hunted the first two weeks of the season AT ALL. I'm talking over 10,000 acres of leases that were devoid of hunters for two full weeks.

megalomaniac

South Dakota is looking to shorten seasons next year. No talk of tag reductions yet, but tags are already pretty restrictive for the state outside Black Hills

Latest posts