Nebraska Shotgun Opener

redheadshooter

My brother and I leased a cattle farm in Nebraska for the year. We gave ourselves 2 days to hunt since my nephew couldn't miss too much school.

I started us off by doubling on two nice toms on Saturday morning. After that, I got behind the camera and filmed Justin and Conner put down 5 birds that evening! Finally, Conner finished strong with a last minute bird on Sunday evening!

We killed 8 birds in two days and had an absolute blast!

Now all I have left for the slam is the Rio!

Attachments

• Photo Apr 17, 8 33 17 PM.jpg
    Photo Apr 17, 8 33 17 PM.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 59

Joe2Kool

OMG!! 8 birds in 2 days?? WOW! I bet that was an adrenaline high!
And congrats! Looks like some easterns and Merriams.

Now, I gotta ask, you guys call 'em in? I've hunted Merrians in western Nebraska several times and don't have much luck with calls. Our best strategy seems to be figure out where they are going and cut 'em off. Or, one person calls and pushes them towards someone else.

Congrats again!

Huntaholic

OMG!! 8 birds in 2 days?? WOW! I bet that was an adrenaline high!
And congrats! Looks like some easterns and Merriams.

Now, I gotta ask, you guys call 'em in? I've hunted Merrians in western Nebraska several times and don't have much luck with calls. Our best strategy seems to be figure out where they are going and cut 'em off. Or, one person calls and pushes them towards someone else.

Congrats again!
3 of us did the same, taking 8 in 2 days on public ground several years ago Joe. The only reason it wasn't 9 was that one guy couldn't get up the 2nd morning and slept in lol. With Merriams, its feast or famine it seems. I was like you the first time I went, couldn't call in those weird sounding "yankee accent" birds. I figured out how to "speak their language" though the following year. They respond to the right call VERY well, the secret was figuring out what that call was. Id love to go do it again in a week or so!

Latest posts